Help, Semi-Auto rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not comparing, love my 6 ARs too.

rookie-numbers.gif

Don't get me started on bourbon.

Last edited:
This is an easy one. Shtf. What you want is an AR. My personal recommendation is a lower from Palmetto State with an upper from Bear Creek Arsenal.

As far as caliber, you’re gonna want 556 the reason is when you run out of ammo, other people will have 556.

However, 300 blackout in my opinion is a better choice, but not a lot of people have stock piles of 300 blackout ammo. They will have 556. 300 blackout is a beefed up bullet. It’ll take care of some of the body armor.

Whatever you do when you’re talking about SHTF you wanna carry a NATO caliber.

So, 556 for rifle, 9 mm for pistol. Ammo availability, trade value and everything else during a SHTF scenario points to those calibers right there.

If you lived on the other side of the world, I would recommend the AK 47.

22 LR is also a viable option not so much for self-defense although it will work in a pinch but hunting small game is going to be a lot easier than trying to track down a deer or something bigger. Also, a lot less noise so you don’t give up your location.

Remember, move like a ghost.

This is an easy one. Shtf. What you want is an AR. My personal recommendation is a lower from Palmetto State with an upper from Bear Creek Arsenal.

As far as caliber, you’re gonna want 556 the reason is when you run out of ammo, other people will have 556.

However, 300 blackout in my opinion is a better choice, but not a lot of people have stock piles of 300 blackout ammo. They will have 556. 300 blackout is a beefed up bullet. It’ll take care of some of the body armor.

So, 556 for rifle, 9 mm for pistol. Ammo availability, trade value and everything else during a SHTF scenario points to those calibers right there.

22 LR is also a viable option not so much for self-defense although it will work in a pinch but hunting small game is going to be a lot easier than trying to track down a deer or something bigger. Also, a lot less noise so you don’t give up your location.

Sometimes im sad because you have to live somewhere that seems like $#!+ already hit the fan.

Ruger mini in 556 it will shoot alot longer than a AR 556 with out cleaning it . ARs are high maintenance .

Eh, Tomato, Potato.

Think about scavenging and parts availability. Though it maybe less maintenance than an AR you are more likely to run into other ARs for parts availability. Chances of finding mini parts are slim to none. You want the Ford of the rifle world. This is SHTF factories down government down everything down. I would take the AR 15 10 out of 10 times over anything else because it is, or was mass produced and so popular in the USA.

Just my opinion. Feel free to plan for your SHTF scenario as you wish.

Bigger concern and my SHTF nightmare is water and or radioactive contamination. Something to consider. You may have 10,000 rounds of 5.56 and something to shoot them out of but if you have no drinking water supply you will be dead fairly quickly.

Also, like many "scenarios" it is difficult to predict EXACTLY what you need and where. This isn't a camping trip its a unknown dangerous event. Best to say fluid and flexible. That said in my mind going with the most common rifle chambered in the most common caliber for said rifle is what I believe to be the best option. Second choice would still be an AR. Here is another reason... I can carry my lower and two or more uppers. Say a 5.56 and a .50 Beo for that enemy truck that is about to run over my shanty. Or .300 blk for the silent action. etc.

Last edited:
So this is one of my AR rifles. It is chambered in my favorite ar round .300 blk.

There are certainly some things that I would change before, considering this a good rifle for SHTF.

Number one all traces of chrome must go, including that muzzle brake, and the decorative skull on the mag well.

Number two I would carry additional batteries inside the handle.

Things I like about this rifle for SHTF. The caliber of course, the fact that it features of shell catcher that is detachable. The multiple sighting systems. Four to be exact although most people will see three. We have a red dot sight we have the iron sites as back up that Co witness. The light on the bottom also features a laser. And the fourth is the light itself. Because the light is mounted where it is the center of the light is where the bullet goes.

IMG_1195.jpegIMG_1197.jpegIMG_1196.jpegIMG_1198.jpeg

Eh, Tomato, Potato.

Think about scavenging and parts availability. Though it maybe less maintenance than an AR you are more likely to run into other ARs for parts availability. Chances of finding mini parts are slim to none. You want the Ford of the rifle world. This is SHTF factories down government down everything down. I would take the AR 15 10 out of 10 times over anything else because it is, or was mass produced and so popular in the USA.

Just my opinion. Feel free to plan for your SHTF scenario as you wish.

Bigger concern and my SHTF nightmare is water and or radioactive contamination. Something to consider. You may have 10,000 rounds of 5.56 and something to shoot them out of but if you have no drinking water supply you will be dead fairly quickly.

Also, like many "scenarios" it is difficult to predict EXACTLY what you need and where. This isn't a camping trip its a unknown dangerous event. Best to say fluid and flexible. That said in my mind going with the most common rifle chambered in the most common caliber for said rifle is what I believe to be the best option. Second choice would still be an AR. Here is another reason... I can carry my lower and two or more uppers. Say a 5.56 and a .50 Beo for that enemy truck that is about to run over my shanty. Or .300 blk for the silent action. etc.
Ars need parts all the time the carrier bolts always chip or Crack pins fall out. To much to take apart to clean and make jam free. The mini is a copy of the mouser action and more reliable not as fast running as a AR. I have put over a thousand rounds thru the gun with out cleaning I'm waiting on the 350 to come out soon IL will get that one when it's released.

Ars need parts all the time the carrier bolts always chip or Crack pins fall out. To much to take apart to clean and make jam free. The mini is a copy of the mouser action and more reliable not as fast running as a AR. I have put over a thousand rounds thru the gun with out cleaning I'm waiting on the 350 to come out soon IL will get that one when it's released.
So when you say that, are you basing that information off of statistical data or your personal experience?

Again, personal preference but you can’t get your hands on parts when your mini does have parts that need replacing you would be harder pressed to find them. That’s ultimately the point that I tried to make.

If you want reliability go with a bolt action I have Carcanos that are over a hundred years old that still work.

Last edited:

Nato rounds cannot be not considered.
BigBoresmokepole & Les Harris, asking for a friend of mine: How long have you humped an M16 and/or M4 series weapon & how many FFs have you two been in? That's Fire Fights for those in Rio Linda.
mgtk4.jpg

So when you say that, are you basing that information off of statistical data or your personal experience?

Again, personal preference but you can’t get your hands on parts when your mini does have parts that need replacing you would be harder pressed to find them. That’s ultimately the point that I tried to make.

If you want reliability go with a bolt action I have Carcanos that are over a hundred years old that still work.

I spent some time working on weapons at a armory in south Carolina on a base and taken them things apart inspecting and cleaning gas ports and adjusting chit . Don't get me wrong Ars are a good weapon just high maintenance I like the m4 series the best in 308 . I sold my ARs just because maintenance on them rifles are alot . M1 rifles break down and clean up fast ,ARs are more accurate to but I can hit chit at 200yds with open sites that's all I need for me. Like what you want I don't care buy what you can shoot well and get ammo for it

Latest posts

Back