Help with my T/C Prohunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbt88

Reaction score
Looking for recomendations from those shooting Precision rifle dead center bullets in their Prohunter. I have been using 110 gr. of 777 pellets with the 220 gr bullet. When zeroed at 175 yds I'm hitting 6" high at 100yds and 3"high at 50. Thats just to high for my liking!
Any one having success with these bullets in their Prohunter? (I would like to keep using them) Please let me know and save me all the powder and bullets I'm wasting. :D

Thanks !

I shot a doe which by no means comes close to the size of your northern whitetails with a PR 220 gr .45 bullet. The range was 50 yards with a quartering away shot, the Doe did a summersault in the air landing on her back kicking her legs in the air several times and then she went to sleep.

Internal damage was about the same as a "shock-wave.

Chocdog

Thanks for your help.

Can you tell me how much powder you are using and what kind of ballistics you are getting at 50 ,100 ,150 yds?

I see when I run this through a ballistic calculator that you should be getting about 2" high at 50 and 3.21" high at 100. Something does not sound right. Even on their web site, it shows 4.5" high at 100 when dead on at 200. Do you know what velocity you are getting?

AJBT88,

I did not chronograph that load so the velocity Iam guessing was under 1900 FPS. The charge was 105 grains of 777 in 2f.

Chocdog

I have not had the time to shoot it thru my buddies Chronograph so I'm not sure . I wonder if I should change over to loose powder and increase the charge. Perhaps it would flatten out the trajectory as long as the groups remain tight.

pro hunter

after shooting my encore yesterday I am about ready to sell the barrel and take my cva 54 cal out I was not impressed. I am not confident that I can get it to group the way I want it to.

Don't give up

There have been some situations where people can't seem to get good groups with their Encores. The folks at precision rifle think that maybe the 209 primers are to blame. They claim that if you switch to a small rifle primer conversion kit that the groups will tighten up. Heres a link to the article. Check it out.Some guns also have issues with the pivot pin.It is said that some guns point of impact can change with everyshot because the pin rotates I bought a locker pin that tightens with an allan key and it does not move.Therefore point of impact does not change.(locker pin link- http://www.prbullet.com/e-pin.htm) How many types of ammo have you tried?

Heres the links. And while you are there read the article on how many awards precision rifle Muzzleloader bullets have won. then you might want to give them a try.

Bullet award link - http://www.prbullet.com/drop.htm

Conversion kit link- http://www.prbullet.com/hornet.htm

Hope this helps

Back