help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black powder

Reaction score
went shooting today ..new T/C ENCORE ..scope ELITE 3200 base WEAVER GRAND SLAM ..at 100 yds..i had to cranke the scope dial all the way up to get it on the center of the target ,but now the dial is at the end and was told that is not the right thing to do ...if i shimed the rear rings 0.002 will it help to raise the scope ?????? any suggestions

black powder said:
went shooting today ..new T/C ENCORE ..scope ELITE 3200 base WEAVER GRAND SLAM ..at 100 yds..i had to cranke the scope dial all the way up to get it on the center of the target ,but now the dial is at the end and was told that is not the right thing to do ...if i shimed the rear rings 0.002 will it help to raise the scope ?????? any suggestions

Several factors to decide how much to shim. Ring space, distance from muzzle, scope position in rings etc.

I have found that .001 equals about 1 MOA at hundred. If you are close to the adjustment stops I would either shim about 6 to 8 thousands.

Or a much better fix would be the Burris bases and Posi Align rings. They will allow you to adjust the scope back to center of adjustments and then do all your "shimming" with the ring inserts. Quite easy to do with a good bore sighter.

Bases: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=389135

Rings:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=560948

Inserts/Shims:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=712472

Those are also Weaver Grand Slam rings? Those things suck. :)

Really.

Aside from that, I would try swapping the current front to the back and the current back to the front. That in itself might gain you some adjustment.

Those are also Weaver Grand Slam rings? Those things suck.

He can't do that with that base can he? That's a Redfield-type setup...

I had an Omega just like that at one time... Here's what I did and it WORKED like a charm! I shimmed the rear of the base using a precisely cut-out piece of aluminum Coke can. I drilled two matching holes in it for the base screws and stuck it under the rear of the base. I put a little Loc Tite on both sides of it and tightend her down! Worked like MAGIC! I even got to lower my point of impact!

On a side note...this is one problem you probably would NOT have with a Nikon Omega scope...EIGHTY INCHES of elevation/windage!

big6x6 said:
Those are also Weaver Grand Slam rings? Those things suck.

He can't do that with that base can he? That's a Redfield-type setup...

I had an Omega just like that at one time... Here's what I did and it WORKED like a charm! I shimmed the rear of the base using a precisely cut-out piece of aluminum Coke can. I drilled two matching holes in it for the base screws and stuck it under the rear of the base. I put a little Loc Tite on both sides of it and tightend her down! Worked like MAGIC! I even got to lower my point of impact!

On a side note...this is one problem you probably would NOT have with a Nikon Omega scope...EIGHTY INCHES of elevation/windage!

thanks for the reply ..i will try ur shim [Coke can] on the rear ring under the scope tube

solved the problem ..removed the WEAVER GRAND SLAM base and rings ..installed LEUPOLD base and rings [end oh story] thanks to all that replied...

Back