Helping a Newbie

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentucky Colonel

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of introducing a young college age 
shooter to black powder at the monthly match today. 
He was a guest I invited.

He shot my Hawken .50 and tried my .50 Kentucky long flintlock. 
It was his first time with both. He used my Hawken for the match.

He had fired an Enfield, but never fired one with a ball in the barrel 
at a target! All blanks. His Dad was a reenactor. 

He did pretty well. He is a snap shooter. He thinks his primitive archery 
experience may be the reason for that? I have never seen one in BP. 
All my guys are slow and patient with the target.

Anyway, he seems hooked. He got a goofy grin and said, "Man, this is so 
much better than regular rifles! I can't believe I waited so long to come out!" 
He listened carefully to all the older fellas and soaked up everything they 
were saying. 

I think we got a smoker.

He questioned me heavily about the basics for getting started. I told him 
to focus on getting a rifle and I would help fill in the gaps at the matches 
for a while. I told him I would keep my eyes open for a rifle.

I know this kid and he is a good egg. Builds things with his hands. Loves 
history. And, as is usual with college students, dirt poor. 

Anybody got a basic but good quality .50 Hawken laying around they could 
reasonably part with for a a 'dirt poor student' price? I think we should start 
him on percussion cap. He does hunt. Think low end prices, guys.  But, I would 
like to get him started solidly.

Let me know if you think you got anything? Thanks.

PS> It occurs to me I may be coming at this from the wrong end. 
If you have other basic beginner options, please, sing out!

Hey, I never even thought about that. 
Not sexy, but... 

I don't tend to think of that one as a 'muzzleloader.' 
But, the Huntsman .58 might just fill the bill for a start.

I will need to make certain an in line will work for the matches. 
If so, we may have a winner of an idea. Thanks!

You can get a non wood stocked TC New Englander for about $200 - $225, or there abouts.  If he wants, he can always change to wood stock later.

OSR said:
You can get a non wood stocked TC New Englander for about $200 - $225, or there abouts.  If he wants, he can always change to wood stock later.
I wondered how much they were starting for these days. That 
is good info. Thanks.

He could probably swing the price if it was the right fit. I know 
he is looking to rub shoulders with the wood and iron boys. Thank 
God he is not a lefty. That makes it harder to find.

I am still looking into Bob's suggestions as it was a very good one that 
can solve a lot of problems with no effort and give room for more patient 
looking.

But, looking is what I think we are doing. So, keep the thoughts coming, boys.

Boys, I am very, very pleased to let you know that our efforts here have 
had results we all love hear about.

The young man that several of you stepped up to offer help and advice for? 
And, helped him to acquire his first ever black powder rifle? (Bob, especially)

He just took his first-ever-hog with a black powder rifle in Florida this spring. 
I just learned about it myself. There are no photos because his phone died. 
It was late in the day when he got his opportunity. 

All I really know is that he took a wild pig around 70-80 lbs? and because 
of the wishes of the land owner? The meat went to a food bank.

I am full-courting him for details. He wants to let his friends and supporters 
here know how much they helped him. He is a little shy. :shock::shock::shock: 
(He should not be my friend.)

Some sort of pictures are on the way!!!!

:Red tup: great news!!

Pictures next time would be awesome. I do so love hog hunting!

Colonel, I guess he liked that .54 after all. Glad to see that you made a convert. :Red tup:

This is a mixed subject post, but seems to be OK here. It involves our young man/BP convert 
who we will call Mr. B.

The Central Florida Pistol & Rifle Club held it's annual Women's Day shoot today. 
Several of our club's muzzleloaders were traveling out of state and out of the country. 
Plus, this is the Florida State Muzzleloader Shoot weekend and Florida Frontiersmen were 
hosting that. We have cross-over members that had to be there instead. 

As a result of this perfect storm, we needed reinforcements and Mr. B was asked to 
step up. He used his new .54 caliber rifle to teach- and joined three more experienced shooters as an 
introductory instructor for women- most of whom had never shot a black powder rifle before.

We needed him! The event attracted 400 women. We ran 3 shooting stations with teachers moving in rotation. I wish I had pics of THAT, but is was non-stop once it got going. BUT, here are three shots... one of one of our teachers and two of Mr. B. They both enjoyed shooting my recently acquired (thanks Carlos!) double barrel Pendersoli 12 Gauge shotgun. Yep. We got it up and shooting <a href='/tags/4' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #4'>#4</a> buckshot and it is mad fun.

I heard Mr. B talking to another shooter about his hunt, but I was too busy working set up to hear... so, here you go with the shotgun pics... The weather was perfect today.

Brandon%203_zpsrs2gemb8.jpg

Brandon%201_zps1rbbxmve.jpg

Brandon%202_zpswyfrpxdx.jpg

PS. Yes, Bob. I think we can safely say he likes his .54 :D

Congratulations...You have become an ambassador for the sport...My hat is  off to you sir :thumbs up:...

YMHS
Hilljack

Aww... Thank you...

I am glad you think so... 

BUT, nothing I have ever done here has been without the inspiration of those in front of me. Hiljack, you are one of the most recent and highly valued. I miss Muley... SOB that he was... Bob and RonC mean a lot to me. There are others. 

We all grew up knowing the power and influence of those who kept the knowledge alive...

This spot in the web is a sweet spot. Nobody slams the newbs... nobody claims to be the 'knowledge dalai lama.' If you go off and make politics and religion a measure of belonging a hinderance? No. Not here. (loud cheers!)

If you know, you teach. If you don't you ask. If in between? Well, you entertain your friends. You may even 'dare to be stupid' from time to time if it is entertaining. But, the 'I am the voice from on high, how dare you' is absent. Good riddance. 

So, thanks to Frontiergander for a great spot to talk 'smoke' of the best kind.

PS... A random guy named Homer re-invited me into the sport at a gun shop. Forever grateful...

Kentucky Colonel said:
"If you know, you teach. If you don't you ask. If in between? Well, you entertain your friends."
KC this statement is so true, like many on this site we have been around these firearms for more years than most like to talk about. Not bragging but I started at age 5 because my father would not buy a "cheap" pot metal cap shooter like the ones my friends had. He was a collector of antique weapons (shootable and edged). After pissing and moaning for several days he came out of his gun room-library with an original non matching number 1849 Colt pocket revolver. "Here's your gun and a box of caps, don't screw up that holster kid". He had sealed the nipples shut so it was impossible to shoot other than 'bang' away with caps. Needless to say in our Cowboy & Indian Wars I was always first to be shot with only 5 shots, not the roll of 100 like my friends.

I'm sure we all have fond memories of our early years with getting involved. We have pushed inviting new members - young and old to shoot our clubs muzzleloaders (TC Hawken rifles that I purchased years ago from farm sales - cheap).  Fun Stuff ...

Nice work Colonel. I admire you for taking the time to get a younger shooter involved in black powder. We need more of the youger shooters involved in the sport to carry it on into the future. Seems like alot of the younger crowd has AR on the brain. I dont have anything against AR's but getting them exposed to the black is something that is great. Al

Thanks BigAl. I do find it enjoyable to spark that big grin that happens after the first shots. 
The normal match fellas really enjoy the new energy, too.

AND, we got a NEW shooter at the range! She is a first time shooter to black powder and had never fired ANY gun. She started wildly off target- barely on the berm. She finished with a grouping that stayed within about 6 inches of each other. With a little work, I'll bet she could win a match or two. 

If we don't share the range with the new generation, we'll end up shooting alone in our decrepitude. 

IMG_3007_zpsrkiyadqz.jpg

IMG_3010_zpse48kxokm.jpg

We will see if the 'Smoke' is catching for this one. She got to shoot a Ky. long rifle flintlock & the Hawken. Before she left, she was loading all her shots before trotting back to check the scope for her results. A nice day out for everybody.

Really cool. Im going to get my wifes daughter out soon. I have suddenly sparked her interest with a Henry lever 22. I am also going to get her shooting black. I dont have a light weight BPR but I will figure something out. I know her husband is totally interested in shooting black. Al

Latest posts

Back