Helping my dad with the encore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelheader323

Reaction score
My dad recently took over using my 1st gen t/c encore. For years we have always used 2 t-7 50gtain pellets pushing a 250 grain sw. We have had mixed results with it and last year I think just about was it for me when I shot a knarly 6pt and had a terrible blood trail after looking for an hour we backed out and found him the next day approx. 200 yards from where he was shot at, bullet penciled through him. :( this year I set dad up with some of my xtp in crush rib sabots and they grouped well out to 100 yards. He's using this now with what's left of my t/7 pellets. Next year we are gonna use bh209 with the encore since it's what I use in the rest of my inlines that are capable of using it! Something that popped up when I was discussing this with him was how clean it burns, he's excited to use something he doesn't have to clean after the each shot but I did tell him "even tho it burns so clean and you can shoot anywhere between 20-30 shots without cleaning the barrel doesn't mean you should sight in like that" he argued back and forth saying the fouling won't make hat big of difference, anytime sight by my rifles in I always swab the barrel to get all the "big stuff" out. Even tho with bh209 it's very minimal but when I do this I'm trying to get an idea of how well my gun groups under "1st shot conditions" since that's what's important in the field! Am I wrong by this and wasting my time or is this good practice when trying to find the right load and best groups? Sorry for the long post [emoji854]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Helping my dad with the encore

there are merits to both Dirty and clean bore sighting in. check to see what the difference in POI is in your gun. usually its an inch or three, but knowing brings confidence. you can shoot forever in one session on a fouled bore with BH. The Breechplug will foul full of carbon first. (usually within ~20-25 shots) you have to clean the flash channel out every so often or it clogs before the barrel fouling stops you.

Re: Helping my dad with the encore

I strongly suggest you check for first shot flyers. It may have to do with my cleaning technique but it's a real problem for me.

Not all guns have an issue. BTW. I still love BH 209.

Latest posts

Back