Hi all New Black Powder Enthusiast

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVA Enthusiast

Reaction score
Hi all New Black Powder Enthusiast

Being drawn? to Patch and ball I have a Hawken I got it on trade I opted for a flip on the gun I have pulled the trigger on it threw a few sabots/pyrodex, Then 3 Goex/patch and ball I will never flip and it will never see another sabot as long as my hands are on it. Where I`d normally use pyrodex I use actual powder I still use the pyrodex and sabots CVA Buck Horn Can not drag myself to use it in the Hawken.

Is this like normal at all?

Re: Hi all New Black Powder Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum. I am not really sure what you are asking though. if you are asking is it normal to just use BP and nothing else then I would say yes. With qualifiers. I try to use BP most of the time. But I still use Pyrodex and Alliant MZ. I really like the MZ. I have never used a sabot and never will. I am not a purest but will never own an inline. I like my sidelocks too much. There style is what brought me here. Killing deer with a center fire rifle has gotten too easy. I like the challenge of a BP rifle in the traditional style.

I think lots of people will return to traditional muzzleloaders an true black powder that's what I have done. I hunted with a side lock for years then went to a inline it's not the same . Killed lots of deer with both but it feels so much more rewarding to use a side lock with real black powder. this year will be the first time hunting with a patched round ball an I am really looking forward to it. Our season starts next weekend

R.boone, I suspect sidelocks would have to be in your DNA ! I reckon meat tastes better that has been got with a black powder muzzle loading rifle !! Flint locks even better, I still like my caplocks, guess its like pipe or cigar today!
 CVA, I think it is whatever floats your boat as they say. I have not used pyrodex because I have always had plenty of black powder. I am not even sure you can get an inline down under, or saboted rounds for a muzzle loader. 
   I have hunted as a kid with a patched ball in a smooth bore musket, also with minnies  in my pat 53 and PH Navy rifle. One I got my hands on a custom caplock roundball rifle I hunted exclusively with that for years, then came the age of flint. I love round ball rifles for hunting as they shoot relatively flat compared to rifled muskets . 
    Welcome to the forum !

cheers 

Gordon

Welcome, you'll enjoy yourself and pickup some good information along the way.

My old CVA Hawkens like 9o gr of fffg round ball and Maxi not the sabot at all

Back