Hodgdon must have had their finger on the scale.......

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
....when they say 2000+ fps for the new Triple Se7en Magnum pellets.

Here's what the package says:

"Triple Se7en Magnums---2000+fps for 50cal inlines---209 primers only---2 Triple Se7en Magnum pellets with a 250gr bullet in a 26 inch barrel..."

Ain't so...

Today...I shot over 50 pellets from my new Knight Long Range Hunter with a 27 inch barrel. I used Winchester Triple Se7en 209s... Here are the AVERAGE velocities:

220gr Dead Center-1950fps
250gr Parker Ballistic Extreme-1921fps
240gr Dead Center-1878fps
250gr CVA SlickLoad sabots-1801fps
260gr Harvester Scorpion Platium Tip-1844fps
250gr SST-1934fps--Best group
250gr Barnes TMZ 1981fps(I DID get ONE reading over 2000fps)
220gr Knight Red Hot-2033fps--second best group
200gr Shockwave-2070fps

Boy was I disappointed. :( I had 27 inches of barrel and was expecting close to 2050fps or so. Instead NO 250gr bullet averaged 2000fps or more. Accuracy was very lackluster. The 250gr SST was the best shooting bullet with this combo. How typical is that? 8)

Just from the package label the new pellets underwhelmed me. I'll try 2 old-style Triple Se7en pellets later and see how they compare. Today I wasn't comparing, just seeing if the product matched the hype. It didn't.

100_0284.JPG

magnum triple 7 pellets

I averaged 2028-2045 10 shots from my omega.I was using 250 gr. shockwaves and hp-24 sabots.

T7 Magnum

big 6x6: You just confirmed an article in Oct. issue of "American Rifleman"; pg. 70. The article compares different loads from several powder manufacturers using a 245 gr. SST from a Knight KRB w/27" barrel. On pg. 74, he compares various loads with Hodgden Pyrodex and Triple Seven. In his tests, 150 gr. of T7 Mag. pellets only yielded 1850 fps vs 2106 fps with (3) pellets of T7 50 grainers!!! Interesting article testing many powders. Between your tests and this article, I don't think I'll be trying the T7 Mag. pellets!!!!!!!!! By the way, VERY NICE rifle and good info. THANKS

Great report!

Here are come of the Hodgdon claims from their new data sheet for the Magnum pellets:

• 240 gr Dead Center (Lead w/Orange sabot)- 1990
    245 gr Barnes Spitfire - 2019
    250 gr Barnes Expander MZ (black sabot) - 2004
    250 gr Hornady SST - 2010
    250 gr TC/Shockwave Super Glide - 2005
    25 0gr CVA SlickLoad sabots - 1943

Here is another claim (quoted from their website):

"While we are confident there are other muzzle loading rifles and saboted bullets that will acheive the 2,000 fps velocity, the ones listed below were tested by Hodgdon or the manufacturers and met or exceeded 2,000 fps with 2 (two) Triple Se7en Magnums."

Rifle
----------------------------
TC Omega & Pro Hunter
CVA Kodiak & Optima
Knight Disc Extreme, Revolution, & KP1
Traditions Pursuit
Remington Genesis
Ultimate Arms bolt rifle

250 gr Bullets/Sabots
----------------------------------------
T/C Shockwave w/Super Glide
Hornady SST ML
Barnes Expander MZ
Barnes Spit-Fire TMZ
Nosler S.H.O.T.S.
Parker Hydra-Con

"The manufacturers that tested the new Magnums all commented on the superb accuracy as well as the increased velocity."

I should have gotten a job in marketing! :roll:

tooldog

Re: T7 Magnum

coltchris said:
big 6x6: You just confirmed an article in Oct. issue of "American Rifleman"; pg. 70. The article compares different loads from several powder manufacturers using a 245 gr. SST from a Knight KRB w/27" barrel. On pg. 74, he compares various loads with Hodgden Pyrodex and Triple Seven. In his tests, 150 gr. of T7 Mag. pellets only yielded 1850 fps vs 2106 fps with (3) pellets of T7 50 grainers!!! Interesting article testing many powders. Between your tests and this article, I don't think I'll be trying the T7 Mag. pellets!!!!!!!!! By the way, VERY NICE rifle and good info. THANKS

My American Rifleman had been sitting on the table for a couple of days until today! I noticed they used the Remington STS 209 primer where I used the Triple Se7en primer. I don't really know which is the hotter of the two. I'm pretty sure my velocites would have increased had I used a Federal 209A primer. But IMO Triple Se7en pellets indicates Triple Se7en primers. Thanks for pointing out the article!

250gr SST-1934fps--Best group

Far and away the best shooting bullet. The next best were the 200gr Shockwave and 220gr Red Hot, both around 1.6 inches.

100_0287.JPG

The 250gr SST never ceases to amaze me. It's almost always one of the better shooting bullets in every muzzleloader I've shot.

Great report as always Chuck. The real world results are always different it seems.

Excellent report.. of course your information is always top notch. Thanks for testing.

In your opinion since you shoot a lot more pellets then I do. Do you think there really is an advantage to shooting pellets over loose powder, accuracy wise in some of the new inline rifles. In some of the manuals, people tell me that pellets are actually "recommended" now. I shot only about three boxes of pellets. Accuracy was excellent, clean up about the same, but nothing I could not match with loose powder for a lot less money.

That sure is a pretty rifle you got there. That thing is almost too pretty to shoot. But of course its our duty to take them out, and pull the trigger on them. That is seeet looking. But then I like the looks of Knight rifles for some reason.

How about trying some 290 gr Barnes TMZ bullets and loose FFFg Triple 7 powder. Good looking rifle. My rifle has the sandstone stock. My brother is critically ill so I haven't been able to shot the LRH yet. What mounts are you using ? Have you shot any groups at 200 yds to see if you get the 4 inch guaranteed group ? Good report. Keep it coming. My date with an Iowa buck is getting closer so I'll need all the info I can get to help me with my LRH and a good load. Thanks-----ROLL TIDE !!!!!!!

Very nice report Chuck. I see no accuracy difference from your old Disc Elite.

I'm glad you didnt order a case of that powder. :wink:

Latest posts

Back