Hooked a bass fisherman....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anonymouscowherd

Reaction score
Friend of ours had her grandson staying with us for a while, he wanted to go fishing. His big fish so far has been a 4-5lb bass. Not bad, considering he's only fished small ponds and such.

So.... he really really wanted to go to the local river. So I took him and my youngest and her best friend (the boy is her step brother) over to the Santa Fe and Rum Island to hang out and fish a bit and swim.... (the barrier is there to remind boaters to keep out of swimming area.... doesn't work. water in the spring hole is naturally clear, the river water has tannins like tea... if the barrier weren't there you'd see more mixing of the water, but you can see a little tendril of it...)

No fish, which is what I predicted. I've seen big bass there, but I've never been able to get 'em to bite.

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0481.jpgIMG_0480.jpg

Checked the weather, Shell Mound was supposed to have rain early morning and then be clear until after high tide (when the fishing turns off), so gathered up the kiddies and we bombed over to the coast.

Was able to get a bass fisherman hooked on shoreline saltwater fishing.... We pulled in 4 sharks, missed two more, and got 8 big catfish....

IMG_0483.jpg

Friend of ours had her grandson staying with us for a while, he wanted to go fishing. His big fish so far has been a 4-5lb bass. Not bad, considering he's only fished small ponds and such.

So.... he really really wanted to go to the local river. So I took him and my youngest and her best friend (the boy is her step brother) over to the Santa Fe and Rum Island to hang out and fish a bit and swim.... (the barrier is there to remind boaters to keep out of swimming area.... doesn't work. water in the spring hole is naturally clear, the river water has tannins like tea... if the barrier weren't there you'd see more mixing of the water, but you can see a little tendril of it...)

No fish, which is what I predicted. I've seen big bass there, but I've never been able to get 'em to bite.

View attachment 36013

View attachment 36012View attachment 36011

Checked the weather, Shell Mound was supposed to have rain early morning and then be clear until after high tide (when the fishing turns off), so gathered up the kiddies and we bombed over to the coast.

Was able to get a bass fisherman hooked on shoreline saltwater fishing.... We pulled in 4 sharks, missed two more, and got 8 big catfish....

View attachment 36014
Thats awesome brother, glad y'all had a nice day weather wise & the youngin catchin his first non bass & a shark of all things, to boot very cool.

Way to go! That barrier stuff is interesting. One side murky the other gin clear. Pretty cool contrast.

Way to go! That barrier stuff is interesting. One side murky the other gin clear. Pretty cool contrast.

The barrier really doesn't do a bunch - a natural barrier is formed based on water flow and river level vs. spring level.

Drone vids on opening that show it sans barrier, drone pilots are standing about where I was when I took the pics.

Latest posts

Back