hornady 350 fpb slug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art sehnke

Reaction score
fpbslugb4after.jpg

This is a before & after photo of a Hornady 350 gr FPB bullet after test firing. The bullet "trap" was 2 one(1) gallon milk jugs filled with sand. The front bottle held sand and all the water that I could pour in. Approximately one half gallon water. The rear jug held only sand to facilitate recovery of the slug. I used 80 grains of BP-209 @ 100 yards. It blew the front bottle apart and made a very neat .50 cal. hole in the rear jug. I cut the top off the jug and dumped the sand in to a 1/2" hardware cloth screen & there it was. A nice mushroom with shank.
Art
P.S. Thanks for the help posting the photo. Cayuga

Hornady FPB .350 slug

Chuck; No that is not a hunting load for me here with our smaller deer. That was a "Just in Case" . Load. I have a little more testing/shooting to do, but I am hoping for some good groups using the Hornady.44 cal/430 dia 240 gr. XTP with the Harvester green crush rib sabot. I have shot some good groups using 80 grains BH209, now I want to try 90 grains of same.

I had one load that FINALLY seem to come together, it was: TCSW 250 gr with Harvester EZ load black sabot & 80 grs. BH209. It took a lot of different sabots b4 I got this one to group about 1".

Bucker; I am using a CVA Kodiak Magnum. 50 cal. 28: bbl & Win.209 209 primers.

was shot #3 used for the water jug test? I am surprised you actually caught it with only a gallon jug.

hoprnady 350 FPB slug

No Gander, actually #3 was one of those famous "FLYERS" about an inch & a half above the numeral 1. But the jugs were on a milk crate below the target in the photo and you can see traces of dirt/mud on the lower left corner of the target. I was surprised that the second gallon caught & held the slug. Don't forget the first jug was sand & water, the second was only sand. I actually had a third jug filled with ONLY water, to back up the second jug. But the slug only made it aout half way thru the second jug.

Looks pretty impressive to me. Can't wait to try one out on a real animal. The proof is in the puddin! Hopefully I can report how they work on a mule deer and elk.

Back