Hornady 350gr FPB...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not bought any, Yet, But BassPro lists them for $15.99. It does say Low stock though. How many is there in a box?

ShawnT

big6x6 said:
Where in the heck are ya'll getting these?

Jay's Sporting Goods in Clare, MI. THey also have a store in Gaylord, MI. They is expensive though, $17.99 for 15 bullets. Jay's prices have really went up over the last year. They are getting $36.99 for BH209 too. :shock:

http://www.jayssportinggoods.com/

Well I have 'em back ordered at Bass Pro...guess I won't need 'em too soon anyway!

Well I went ahead and ordered some from Gilberts and they all ready have them on the way!

Just a note to report that I got my FPBs from Gilberts...EXCELLENT order turn around!

I dont mean to hijack this thread... but I figured this is as good a place to post as any on this bullet..

Busta here on the board sent me a few bullets to test (3) ..

I feel the results are promising at the least!

I shot 3 of the bullets at about 30 yards over 100gr of bh209... ( sorry about the pics... taken from my blackberry :( )

IMG00050.jpg

1st shot was a bit high and deflected out of the gel..

IMG00051.jpg

2nd chance-

Straight through both blocks and still going!! :shock: Looking at the first block, the terminal performace looks to be outstanding. Good wound channel and MAX penetration. Small bits of bullet were shed but it appears this bullet will go the distance through anything you point it at.

IMG00052.jpg

3rd shot-

Same results... bullet went through both blocks of gel and appear to be a huge improvement over the standard powerbelt.

*note* As a control a 275 Parker was shot into the gel at the same range with the same powder load.. The 275 parker penetrated the entire first block and only about 1" into the second... approx 18" of penetration..

I have more on the way and will continue more testing. If this bullets proves to be accurate it may get some field testing in early MZ season.

Special thanks to Busta for the bullet donation!

Hey JJ!
BOY....that IS PROMISING! It looks as if this FPB may be for real!

THANKS FOR THE REPORT! 8)

Thanks Chuck

The test was abbreviated and much closer than my other test.. I hope to try again at extended ranges in hopes of capturing one of these!!! As I stated, many small bits are shed in the gel but it appears the majority exits both blocks and keeps on going..

These may be the ticket for Colorado and other conical only states.

I did shoot several other bullets into the gel on this test ( 240 XTP mag, 300 Sierra FN ) --- Thanks LUNGBUSTER!
The 240 was stopped yet the 300 went right on through!

Grouse said:
What am i missing? If the bullet is blowing thru both it's not expanding. :?

On the surface, this sounds like a valid point and may be, but doesn't jive with the ballistics tests that Hornady shows on their website. the tip in the hollowpoint is supposed to ensure expansion.

I would certainly like to see some recovered bullets.

Grouse said:

I'm thinking it's doing just fine. Remember it's a 350gr bullet...I don't know for certain what velocity it's going(have not shot any, YET) but probably around 1650-1700fps. Expansion just isn't going to be as violent as a bullet going faster which means it should penetrate more. JJ DID mention "Looking at the first block, the terminal performace looks to be outstanding. Good wound channel and MAX penetration."

Why don't you shoot some groundhogs with some of yours and see what the terminal performance on live game is? :D

Grouse said:

Tom,

The only part missing is the weight of the bullet. From that range and velocity it is nearly impossible to stop the slug... 350gr is nothing to sneeze at.

In the first block, I did see signs of expansion and a good wound channel.

More testing will tell the tale... trying to figure out how to catch the slug after the 2nd block of gel..

As a side note, a 495gr conical pushed by 65gr of T7 is all but impossible to capture in 2 blocks of gel.. Yet we all know it is a very effective game getter. A recovered conical from a White is a treasure and something that very rarely happens..

More testing is certainly needed.

Latest posts

Back