Hornady sst

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slong

Reaction score
Hi
I'm new to the board and have found some great information shared here.

Today I had an issure with a Hornady I though I'd share. I bought 300gr sst and sighted in at a relatively decent group at 50 yards. I don't get the opportunity for long shots where I hunt.
I used two T7 pellets with the sst to kill a nice 9pt today at about 50 yards. It didn't pass through nor hit bone. I consider the kill lucky be cause the bullet never mushroomed. Have a look and let me know your thoughts. I shoot an optima v2.
Thanks in advance for your input. Also, this isn't intended to make Hornady look bad because I know they have solid products, it surprised me and maybe one of you have experienced this previously.
Thank
Steve
1eebb22297e259e54d6972a4d7d7ffc9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

slong said:
Hi

Today I had an issure with a Hornady I though I'd share. I bought 300gr sst and sighted in at a relatively decent group at 50 yards. I don't get the opportunity for long shots where I hunt.
I used two T7 pellets with the sst to kill a nice 9pt today at about 50 yards. It didn't pass through nor hit bone. I consider the kill lucky be cause the bullet never mushroomed. Have a look and let me know your thoughts. I shoot an optima v2.
Thanks in advance for your input. Also, this isn't intended to make Hornady look bad because I know they have solid products, it surprised me and maybe one of you have experienced this previously.
Thank
Steve

I hate pointy bullets!!! but that is just me...

I would have to guess you may have had a problem with the ignition of the T7 pellets. Do you feel that the recoil from the shot was correct? Hunting you may not have even noticed.

Pellets really can be temperamental!!! They can absorb moisture and sometimes just fizzle - especially if they are older pellets.

From your description it just doesn't sound like you got the velocity that should have been there.

Re: RE: Re: Hornady sst

sabotloader said:
slong said:
Hi

Thank
Steve

I hate pointy bullets!!! but that is just me...

I would have to guess you may have had a problem with the ignition of the T7 pellets. Do you feel that the recoil from the shot was correct? Hunting you may not have even noticed.

Pellets really can be temperamental!!! They can absorb moisture and sometimes just fizzle - especially if they are older pellets.

From your description it just doesn't sound like you got the velocity that should have been there.
I couldn't tell you to be honest. The pellets are from last year. But I used the same batch to sight in the gun.

Any chance you could switch to loose powder with out a big inconvenience? I just think you might be a whole happier - but granted it is not as convenient.

I would suggest use the same 100 grains of loose - but it will change you point of impact because loose T7 will provide more velocity than the T7 pellets.

I've already purchased bp209 powder, the breech plug, xtp's and only need sabots. So it's my intention to change. Was olny hoping until after this season.
Sorry, long answer to get to yes. [emoji3]

slong said:
I've already purchased bp209 powder, the breech plug, xtp's and only need sabots. So it's my intention to change. Was olny hoping until after this season.
Sorry, long answer to get to yes. [emoji3]

I think you will really be happy with BH, other than the price for 10 ounces, and you do not need a special BP for BH with a Knight BP nor a mag primer.

Ok so now I am going to start a war - instead of the XTP you might consider a different bullet and of course I would suggest the new Lehigh copper bullet line.

If you are hunting elk you might look at the .452x265CF-HP if you are just hunting deer .452x240CF-HP, although for myself and deer hunting I am using the .451x230CF-HP

265_Misc_Pics.jpg

Lehigh_17-9-1_240_Composite.jpg

Lehigh_451x230_CF-HP.jpg

As Mentioned by Sabotloader, Pellets can be a problem. Pellets carried over from the previous year may have drawn some moisture into them and can cause ignition/burn problems. Those Boxes are not sealed. I had issues once with them not completely firing and gave them up many years ago.

As for the SST..I had issues with them not expanding when I tried them. They shot very accurate but I got no expansion when shooting them over 2 pellets loads. I at first bashed them, but after reading all the good and bad posts about them the one thing that stood out to me was that almost all failures of expansion was due to shooting them over 2 pellet (50/50) loads. I really believe that 2 pellets load just don't have the speed to make that bullet expand properly. All of the good posts that had good expansion were shooting loose powder about 100 to 110 grains or so.

I am of the same mind set as Sabotloader in that I never really saw the need for pointy bullets in a muzzleloader for the normal ranges most shoot (50 to 125 yards). I much more prefer a wide Meplat bullet, Just my Preference. I shoot mostly 300gn pistol bullets like the Speer Deep Curl or the XTP. In my Ultra Lite I used the Bloodline last fall with great success and have now switched to the Lehigh CF .452dia 265gn for this year.

Regardless of the SST Performance, you should get pass through at 100 yards. Somethings not right with those pellets.

I would first focus on replacing the pellets. BH 209 is my powder of choice. Then, switch to a premium hunting bullet. The products from Lehigh are excellent. ( Knight Bloodlines included )

Yes BH 209 is more expensive. To me, it's worth the extra cost. I do shoot SSTs and T7 at the range but hunt with the high end stuff knowing the season may come down to one shot.

Greatly appreciate all of your feedback and experience. Being I bought BH I just need to get to the range. That 9pt was pretty and I feel fortunate he dropped within 40 yards bc there was almost no blood trail.
Regardless the cost of powder or bullets, it's not worth wounding or losing a deer.
I'll report back once I give BH a try.
Thanks

I think your on the right track with your decision, switching over to bh209 may be a little more expensive but man what a difference, only guns I don't use bh209 in are the rifles that I can't use it in. Going with the xtp is also a great choice in both 250 and 300 grain, if ya buy bullets in bulk then buy your sabots in bulk you will easily take care of the extra cost of the bh209 in just 1-2 range sessions, I myself use the 250 xtp with some of harvesters sabots, I also use Barnes but they are a bit more pricey, my dad uses the 250 sst/shockwaves, he's still partial to the pellet loads, all his shots are between 15-75 yards so right now i guess it doesn't bother me much, but he's getting low on pellets so I may just pick him up some Bh and the proper measuring tools and then he has No choice :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used sst/shockwaves last year on a buck, broadside, 70yards away and he went about 100yards, no blood whatsoever, no exit. That right there turned me away from them. I shot another deer with a 12ga sst sabot slug and it grenaded on the deer so from now on no more varmint bullets for me. #plastic tip.

I shot 2 deer last year with the 250 gr.Shockwave w/110 gr of BH, one about a 185 field dressed buck with a shoulder shot that dropped in his tracks at about 45 yds, both shoulders severely damaged, another a big doe at 100 yds thru both lungs, small entrance with about a 50 cent size exit she made it 25 yds with blood everywhere.

I've been doing the 300 grain, .44 caliber XTPs for years and have nothing but good to say about how they perform, but I am driving mine hard too. This year I am using 209 in all of the muzzies that see field time and I am also going to shoot deep curls just to see what difference the may be between the XTP and the DC. The long guns are getting 77 grains weighed of 209, or 110 grains by volume. I do weigh all my charges. I've shied away from anything with a ballistic or plastic tip simply because I have found a couple of the tips when looking for fired sabots and I know they were on my bullets. I think they came off when seating the bullets and flew out of the barrel with everything else.

Nothing wrong with Hornady240 gr xtp best bullet I shot for deer .I have shot a lot with an so have my friends I tried a lot of different one killed a few with power belts but did not like their performance l stick with the 240 xtp

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

If I could get anything else to shoot accurately out of my U.F. than SST's, I would use them. Terminal performance has been horrible for me. They may work for you, SST/Shockwave kill a lot of deer every year.

slong:
Based on Ron's testing results on this site, nearly all bullets with small HP or Tips - FAILED when the velocity is around 1200-1300fps.

Double click on the photo and it may become clear as it was resized to post.

Attachments

• Ron L test 35 50 copy.jpg
    Ron L test 35 50 copy.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 649
QuinnTheEskimo said:
What qualified as a "failure"? If you punch a half inch hole thru a deers vitals, they'll generally die....
While you are correct, knowledge of Ron's test shows Failure as defined when the HP did not open/expand as designed.

I cleaned the gun tonight and for one shot, it was really gunked up for lack of better terms. The pellets were either too old or I didn't clean the barrel property. My feeling is like most of you pointed out, under powered. I'll be using bh once my sabots arrive this week. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back