Hornady XTP 240 Grain (Green Sabot) - 1:48 Twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either they will shoot well out of your rifle or they won't. I personally don't use them, not because they're bad, but because of the lack of sabot selection to adjust for varying rifle bore diameters.

I shot some with open sights out of a 1:48 Investarms once and they shot pretty good... had a buddy who shot them alot in his and he liked them alot and they were accurate, his rifle was a Renegade.

They might just be fine in your rifle. I think at worst, you'd have to try a different sabot.
I tried a similar bullet, sabot years ago in one of my sidehammer guns. They shot great but were very hard to push down the barrel.

My Remington 700 loves them. Very accurate and hit very hard on whitetail. I use 100 grains of pyrodex pellets.

Many, many, many years ago when I hunted a Renegade sidelock I hunted pyrodex pellets and saboted bullets. The sabots were brittle and the bullets were not what we see today but they were accurate and deer died very well with them. I'm almost certain that I used 300 grain bullets back then but I see no reason why a 240 wouldn't fly for you. As suggested, try different sabots until things come together for you.

That's at 50yds. At the range it holds inch one quarter three shot group. My eyes not so good at one hundred. I thinking about trying different sight settup.

Rifles can be fickle. Technically, the 1-48 is too slow for the 240 grain .429. Good thing rifles can't read! They'll only find out if you tell them...
I can say, from personal experience, the 250 grain. 45 XTP ( needs a 1-49 twist) is SUPERB in my 1-48 TC Hawken. I use a Harvester crush rib sabot and 70 grains of Swiss 3f. Sub 2 inch 100 yard groups are the norm. Occasionally, she will scare the one inch mark to death.
This load does 1610 fps over my chronograph, and causes gooey chests on impact.

JHSA, I used the Hornady 44/ green sabot combo for years in my Lyman Great Plains Rifle. 1/60 . Produced a many whitetail hides. Accuracy was better than “minute of deer” . I was always confident of the gun with that load.
XTP‘s do substantial meat damage. Only reason I stopped using.
Shhhhhhh ,,, don’t tell anybody. Won’t believe a rb barrel shooting a sabot xtp can be accurate.
🤣

Back