Hot Weather shooting with a cold gun...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
100 degrees on my shaded thermometer and humid as h--- :!:

Got out the scales, weighed the bullets and powder. Shooting the Elite w/200sst, Blue MMP's, and 110 gr. 777 ffg. Gun was stored in an Ice Cold basement for 30 minutes between each shot. I started with a clean gun, dry patched to remove most of the Break Free, loaded and ran to the bench (on the patio) set up and quickly fired the first round. Then went back to the basement cleaned with Break Free, dry patched, then let the gun cool and repeated the process. 1 hour for 1 group. :shock: but....625". :D Not much shootin but kind of relaxing for a change. So it can be done...even on a day like today. :)

Anyone try the new Bushnell Elite Rangefinder yet? Sure looks impressive.

Thats some fine shootin there Spit! I'm about 20 minutes from where I can shoot so not an option. :lol:

I used to shoot in the real hot/humid weather but rarely could come away from range any good string of groups I was happy with. I really love shooting but concluded (for myself) to shoot in a little cooler weather. My flinters are fine in the real hot stuff but when shootin saboted bullets its normally another story. Just cant seem to get the consistent groups I'm accustomed to getting when cooler. What we need is an air conditioned 100 YD range! :lol:

Spitpatch that is a good way to continue shooting in this hot weather.

I fine tune my guns in much the same manner. However, I kind of have a different approach.

I drive by my 100 yard range on my way to work in the morning. I will take my clean gun with it and set up a target and shot one round. I spit patch the gun and take it on to work with me in a case. I will clean it when I get home. The next morning I will stop and shot another round at the same target then clean the gun when I get home that evening.

Some mornings I shoot 2 guns and clean them when I get home.

This method makes me really concentrate on that one shot and I feel is good preseason preparation once I have my loads worked out.

iisabigone

iisabigone said:
I drive by my 100 yard range on my way to work in the morning. I will take my clean gun with it and set up a target and shot one round. I spit patch the gun and take it on to work with me in a case. I will clean it when I get home. The next morning I will stop and shot another round at the same target then clean the gun when I get home that evening.

Now that, my friends, is what you call dedication! :D Good for you, iisabigone!

iisabigone said:
Spitpatch that is a good way to continue shooting in this hot weather.

I fine tune my guns in much the same manner. However, I kind of have a different approach.

This method makes me really concentrate on that one shot and I feel is good preseason preparation once I have my loads worked out.

iisabigone

iisa...That is almost exactly how I will prepare for the upcoming season. The only difference is I will shoot once at varying yardages out to 200 yards. We think alike... :wink:

Back