How are the 300 gr. Barnes Originals doing?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black3

Reaction score
Guys,

I know a few of you guys were going to try out the 300 grain Barnes Originals this season. Are they everything that you were hoping for, or is the jury still out on 'em? Just curious. :)

black3

There will likely be tons available for all who wish to try...shortly after the New Year rings in. I once considered them( when not available) but after some more shootin & killin with the Barnes 300 Grain MZ Expanders...I am totally Happy with this Barnes ML bullet. :)

I'm extremely happy from an accuracy standppoint out of both my and my son's gun.

We have killed one deer to date with this bullet and it performed well. We have a 4 day season coming up in Ohio in a couple of weeks when we'll take 3-4 more deer. I'll have more information from our experiences then.

Kim

Thanks guys. I know that they are accurate from the threads on here. I'm mostly interested in terminal performance. Exit wounds or not, drop in tracks or ran off, blood trail, weight retention.....that kind of stuff.

Thanks for you input so far. Good luck, Kim on your upcoming hunt.

black3

Black3,

This is the information that I had posted previously about the one deer we have killed with the 300 Original.

59 gr. N-120, 300 gr. Barnes, 110 yds, quartering away, entry at last rib, exit just behind offside leg, broken rib in and out, exit hole golf ball sized. Much of her heart and bottom of her lungs were just mush. This deer still traveled almost 100 yds after the shot. She ran full speed until she dropped, blood trail anyone could follow.

Black 3
I used one on a nice buck Great bullet, 120 yards out bullet went in the last rib came out behind the front leg. Buck went about 80 yards, great bloodtrail. 60 grains of VV120. No reason for me to change
Redclub

:) Thanks guys. That's the kind of info that I was looking for. I might have to see if they are more accurate in my rifle than the 250 SSTs.

black3

Back