how do you carry your accessories when hunting ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

Reaction score
reloads , knives , rubber gloves , flashlights , what ever , how do you carry it . back/shoulder pack , waist pack , pants/coat pockets ,something else .....
i sure how far folks get off the road or beaten trail and if it's a few hours , a day or a few days hunt dictates what you need . myself i have some replaced joints and a bad back so i won't be far from my vehicle but i'd be interested in what folks carry regardless of distance or duration of the hunt .

For hunting east coast I use a fanny pack. West coast I use a back pack and a fanny pack. The fanny pack I sling over the shoulder.

Now for going to the gun range ( don’t mean to deviate from OP ) I use a trailer to carry ML supplies. :roll::elmer:

For tree stand hunting I use an Alpz Little Bear fanny style pack. For still/stalking I carry a backpack. I also use the cargo pockets on my hunting pants for items I may need to get to quickly.

Turkey hunting I use a vest.

Last edited:
Same as most of you- backpack, and it doesn't matter if I'm bow hunting or gun hunting, I still need basically the same things:

Water
2 Knives
Vinyl gloves
Deer drag/cinch
Viking sheers (cut breast plate/pelvis)
Tags/Permits
Face paint
Butt Out (Forgot it once this year and it sucks the old way)

I use my turkey vest. Santa just brought me a new one. Lots of pockets, have plenty of room for my stuff, it really helps even out the load, and I find it more comfortable while walking through brush.

I’ve recently downsized my pack to a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack, and it worked well so far. It’s a little small when I have to carry binos and a rangefinder.

appreciate the replies so far and listing what y'all carry is a nice add on from you folks .
BTW are viking sheers a hatchet ?

I use a shoulder pack for my possibles bag. Everything goes in here to shoot, reload, clean. I also have room for small monocular, fixed blade knife (just in case), rubber gloves, pkg of rubber bands, ziploc bags, TP, bottle of water. I have room for extra. I’ve been thinking of a first aide kit or a minimal amount. I carry para cord and TP, so I should be able to handle things until I get back to camp. If I need a lot of ‘stuff’, I have a backpack I carry during regular season. I try to be a minimalist. It’s easier, as I hunt my own ranch and don’t need to pack a bunch of stuff that can be left in a Jeep centrally located.

Backpack and fanny pack. In Minnesota I have to add and remove layers frequently so the backpack is great for that. Obviously water and other supplies go in the backpack.

The fanny pack always contains a headlamp, license and tags, gutting knives, two forms of fire starting, water purification tablets etc. Even if I lose track of my backpack somehow I need my fanny pack to have the essentials. I rarely remove the fanny pack.

When I'm Muzzleloader hunting the fanny pack contains a small container that has slugs, powder tubes, primers, latex glove.

Attachments

• PXL_20230106_155101674.jpg
    PXL_20230106_155101674.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
appreciate the replies so far and listing what y'all carry is a nice add on from you folks .
BTW are viking sheers a hatchet ?
They kind of look like tin snips. Below is a link. Same philosophy as the Butt Out- Once you use the deer splitter you never want to go back to opening up that sternum with a knife. My neighbor uses a small saw for the sternum and pelvis, which is also a good option. The Viking deer splitter is a bit heavy, but I prefer it to a saw.

https://www.amazon.com/Viking-Solut...1673020277&sprefix=viking+deer,aps,305&sr=8-1

Old Possibles bag that I had made. It has 3 loops to lose extra short starters. I always carry quick loaders, tools, small flashlight, small folding saw that uses sawzall blades, torn t shirt to wrap up tools. T-shirt is the Swiss Army knife of muzzleloading. It provides you with patches for cleaning and shooting if desperate, something to wipe your hands off and TP if desperate. My knifes are on my belt and pocket. A big caribiner for hanging or attaching to rope during stand climbs. I keep 2 pairs of leather bootlaces wrapped around my thermos and I use them like a shoulder strap to carry.

Back