How many Hunt with their Ramrods in place?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my thoughts and practice.
At the range using a rest. Ramrod out.
Once load is dialed in, ramrod back in and load confirmed.
Hunting.
Stalking not a question . Ramrod in.
Watching on the ground. Ramrod out. Like propped against a tree or such. Along with speedloaders.
Treestand or such.
Ramrod in. Don’t want it to accidentally fall.
I do carry a collapsible ramrod . ASG made.

If an accuracy issue, I’d check to see if ramrod is binding the barrel / stock when inserted.
Maybe forearm needs a forward shim.
I do and see no difference in accuracy.

I'm such a freak,,,I never practice with rod in,, because I always carry a three piece in my pocket ,, when I first started muzzleloading the rods and the hangers really bothered me,, from my days as an amateur bolt action rifle builder I never wanted anything touching or hanging off of my barrel,, I wanted an uninterrupted harmonic if I could achieve it ,always felt anything connected to that barrel potentially interfered with it,,,,truth is if I designed my own gun it would be like the new accura,,or many older target muzzleloaders like Gibbs etc ,,no rod holders,,as I write this I laugh,,still very influenced by years of centerfire.most of my rods are pilled in the corner,,my mind is stuck in free float barrels always,,to me that's nothing touching it.

My guns always have the rods with the proper bullet jag on each in them since I use those rods in the field. At the range and for cleaning I use range rods.

My ramrod is always in its thimbles. Never had a point of aim issue it in the thimbles.

I also hunt the same way I practice.
I hunt where 200 to 300 yard shots are common, so I've learned the hard way to minimize the possibilities for spooking/missing deer.
At the range and in the ladder stands I remove the the ramrod and add an extended loading jag on the free end of the rod. This extended jag provides becomes a great handle, almost as good as the ball or T common on range rods and starters. I lay a towel on the toothy gussets (which bite the tree) followed by the ramrod ... eliminates chance of metal to metal contact or noise. Since a quick second shot requires me to stand, the ramrod is in easy reach and unobstructed.
I also take off the sling, which eliminates noise by sling clips clinking against metal and sling movement on windless days.
If I know I'll be still hunting, I'll practice for that with rod and sling in place.
Anal you might ask? You couldn't pull a pin out of my arce.

Heck, I have no place to put a ramrod other than in my pocket :)

Big difference between "hunters" and those hunters that are dedicated "target shooters" also to include competitors.

I bought a dedicated, long, one piece 'range rod' years ago... I almost totally, exclusively, use it for loading & cleaning all my muzzle loaders.

The ramrod that came with the gun stays in the gun. Only use it for checking if its loaded (everyone has a witness mark), and for expedient field reload when needed.

Thus I always shoot/sight in with the ram rod in place. And keep the range rod in my truck when hunting remote...

Just seemed the better way to be consistent and productive.

That ramrod will not make one bit of difference in point of impact.

Shoot either way.

If a person claims it does at different yardage, they need to relearn how to shoot a gun. It is all in their head.

Latest posts

Back