How often do you eat wild game?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
I just finished a wonderful plate full of venison steaks that were lightly breaded in plain flour. Was it ever good ( especially when washed down with a nice beer)

Last night I had a bowl of moose sausage, venison steak and baked beans while the night before I had the same meal except moose sausage only.

It seems that I eat wild game at minimum once per week and pushing three or more times per week. I was wondering how others do in this department.

So how often do you eat wild game?

I would say I eat it about 5 days a week of course not always for the main meal. Lunch,breakfast, snacks. Making rabbit right at this minute.
Ken

I must say almost daily. I will have steak, roast or chops two or three times a week but usually eat some sort of sausage for lunch almost every day. :D I have a friend who is a charter boat captain on Lake Erie that trades me yellow perch and walleyes for venison roasts and sausage, so I get a lot of my protein without visiting the supermarket. 8)

I have been eating it almost exclusively in the house lately. I just finished the last of my Venison yesterday.
Fortunately, I still have alot of boar left from Tennessee, after that is gone it will have to be fish and whatever leftovers Mel brings home from
work... :wink:

Nothing this year didn't get to hunt,, but it has slowed down on game meat in my home,, my wife will eat tenderlion and back strap but noting else, so most I donate to the H&H chapter

Every week or so between venison, pheasant, wild boar, etc...I include morals in this as well.

Pat

About the only "beef" we buy is pre-patted hamburgers for when we want a quick meal and I can flick on the grill and toss them, still frozen, on the flames.

About anything else that we would use beef for, it's venison. Steaks, kabobs, roasts, stew, ground for spaghetti or chili or Mexican, stir-fry. I even mixed up some pretty good Italian sausage from scratch a couple years ago, then used that to make about 200 meatballs. Mmmmm-mmmm! I had a butcher here make about 10 pounds of breakfast sausage for the first time this year. Should have done WAY more--it was gone in a month!

Unfortanately, we eat out or get fast food way too often. But probably one-third to one-half of the stuff we cook is venison. The rest is chicken, with some occasional pork or fish thrown in for variety.

Oh, yeah, and one wild turkey last spring, and one this spring (unless I can get a second one this last Saturday of the season). 1 turkey (breasted out) will give us three or four meals, so not that much in the long run, but there is nothing like fresh-smoked wild turkey for Easter dinner!

When we got married, my wife had pretty much never had any wild game except for fish. At first, she wouldn't cook with it, so when we ate it, I had to do the honors. Now, she uses venison just as readily as she would beef and most people agree that whether she or I cook it, they would never know that it was venison. That's a result of processing more than cooking, though. :wink:

I would say at least 3 times a week. Mostly sausage or burger and steaks or stir fry once a week.

Not as often as I'd like to. My wife isn't all that fond of wild meat, other than fresh walleye. She will eat some but it's too much to ask her to eat it several times a week.

A bunch. 5 or 6 deer a year takes some eating. I've been eating on the Crossville pork a bunch too.

Not as often as I like.Every 2 weeks.My deer is gone by this time of year,but the fish(crappie and catfish) takes up the slack.

Mountain Man said:
I even mixed up some pretty good Italian sausage from scratch a couple years ago, then used that to make about 200 meatballs. Mmmmm-mmmm!
I like to use loose Italian sausage in my spaghetti sauce. It sure makes a difference. A few meatballs thrown in and yum yum. :drool:

JimA said:
Mountain Man said:
I even mixed up some pretty good Italian sausage from scratch a couple years ago, then used that to make about 200 meatballs. Mmmmm-mmmm!
I like to use loose Italian sausage in my spaghetti sauce. It sure makes a difference. A few meatballs thrown in and yum yum. :drool:

You should try some Loshbough sausage in the Pasts Sauce...mmm,mmm :wink:

Average of once per week exception being during fishing season then 2-3 times per week (when they're biting) :lol:

Latest posts

Back