How Old Is Your Fishing Stuff?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay. Admittedly I seldom throw anything away - still use an Umco aluminum tackle box, bamboo fly rod on occasion, and lures my grandfather left when he died. Last crappie trip I dug out some cards of doll flies & marabou jigs still stapled to cards - each marked 15 cents. Doll flies caught a few slabs, marabou went "naked" in a few casts. Some of those old lures still work after hooks are sharpened. Anyone else using stuff from "the good old days"?

Geez, I’ve got some of everything. I’ve got stuff that was my great grandfathers as well as stuff I picked up this week. I’ve got a lightweight canvas and wood boat that my great grandfather built from a kit to carry in to remote ponds in northern Vermont. My dad and his cousin used it when they were kids too, my dads 83.

I have several old glass eyed lures, horse hair spinner jigs a couple old Glen Evans "Nips" spinners still on the cards old painted metal jigging minnows wood bobbers wood poppers and other misc. also have old umco alum box.

Looking at the new tackle boxes the other day, paying $40-$60 for plastic doesn't warm my heart. Metal ones seem to last forever, even the small ones. When I stuck a knife through my wrist, slicing tendons & nerves the old, spring-wound "automatic" fly reels saved a summer's fishing.

Looking at the new tackle boxes the other day, paying $40-$60 for plastic doesn't warm my heart. Metal ones seem to last forever, even the small ones. When I stuck a knife through my wrist, slicing tendons & nerves the old, spring-wound "automatic" fly reels saved a summer's fishing.
That hurts. I nearly cut my thumb off my left hand with a circular saw back in the 80's so I know what damage you suffered.

When the wife and I had our antique business I dealt with a lot of VERY OLD fishing tackle. Our shop was in a river city and I have no idea how many old metal tackle boxes full of old stuff I went thru. We even had old ladies bring boxes of tackle and rods/reels in that they just wanted to give us because they didn't want to mess with hooks and stinky old stuff and the kids didn't want any of it.

In the other thread about cleaning the white haze off old lures, a fella using a hair drier to remove it. This is what I did to most of the old lures.... wood and plastic. Doesn't work so well on metal. I brought some really unique old tackle back to life this way and made lots of money by doing so.

Rods/reels that didn't sell in a year I'd put new line on and dress up any thread on the guides to put them in good working order and donate them to a buddy who owns a baits shop. When kids came in that could not afford a rod/reel they were allowed to pick one out free of charge and given a box of night crawlers free and told to have a great day of fishing. I still pick up reasonable priced rod/reel combos at garage sales and flea markets, fix them up and add new line and donate to the same store. I'm a firm believer that kids on the water or in the woods are not on the street causing trouble and the little cost I eat is money well spent.

Today I make custom baits, both hard lures and soft plastics as well as leadhead jigs. We live in town where a stream runs across our back yard and merges with a river 100 yards further down. Lots of kids fishing there during the summer. I wander down and ask how the fishing is and will carry a few ziplocks with a couple jigs and a few plastics appropriate for the area with me and hand them out to kids. Most lose the stuff but some can be heard whopping when the get a fish on the goodies. Nothing better.

You know getting old is wonderful,, I help pin and load cattle last night ,I can't hardly walk today feel like I'm 99,, problem was it too men I was helping were a whole lot older and fatter than me I had to do all the heeling,, getting harder to cowboy up sometimes.

The secret is to retire early, before you're too old to enjoy it. The secret to retiring early is to invest early. But, I feel your pain. I've been working hard the last few weeks, and I feel it the next day. or two, or three.

Latest posts

Back