How To Tighten Thimble?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiddler

Reaction score
I recently got a used Lyman Deerstalker and both thimble ramrod holders were loose and rattling. Tightening one was no problem, simply stuck a small screwdriver in the hole. But the one with the carrying sling stud attached has me buffaloed. Because of the stud, the screw holding the thimble to the bottom of the barrel can't be reached like the other one.
     Does the sling stud merely screw into this thimble? I've tried gently turning it, and am afraid to use much force in case that's not the way it's attached.
      Does anybody know how Lyman attached these forward studs?

Thanks for the quick response!
  So, the stud merely screws into the thimble and I won't break anything by trying to unscrew it?
   I'll try the heat method first.

I know it screws into a TC thimble. I'm assuming the Lyman is too. Unless it looks soldered? Even if it is, it will break free and you can solder it back in.

There's a lot of force on it using it for a sling attachment. I would think screwing in would be stronger and easier to assemble.

Got it! When it finally did let go, it did so with a loud, scary crack, but mission accomplished!
   Thanks!

Put some locktite on the screw holding on the thimble. So, you won't have to do this again later.

Latest posts

Back