Howa short action,shilen 450-457stainless select, Hankins plug!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mnt monkey

Reaction score
Shilen will build a barrel nut barrel,, they will not install a breach plug for someone, I noticed too that they also cut a 450-457, which I really like, I asked them if they would cut me a select stainless steel in a 450-457 and set it up for a barrel nut Howa short action, which they did ,it's a beautiful barrel, I have a friend Derek Allison a sportsman's guns and ammo in Conroe Texas help me install the breach plug. It's a 1 and 20 twist this is 57 grains of imr 4198. First group out of the gate not bad!! Three shots two in a hole!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220903_143936173.jpg
    IMG_20220903_143936173.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I really like the howa two-stage trigger,no muzzle brake so the gun's fixing to get on you for a moment two-stage helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20220903_143559844.jpg
    IMG_20220903_143559844.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
Bell and Carlson stock. I do not like the flat forend but on the bench and front rest it's very smooth. Recoil signature is very smooth.

Shilen will build a barrel nut barrel,, they will not install a breach plug for someone, I noticed too that they also cut a 450-457, which I really like, I asked them if they would cut me a select stainless steel in a 450-457 and set it up for a barrel nut Howa short action, which they did ,it's a beautiful barrel, I have a friend Derek Allison a sportsman's guns and ammo in Conroe Texas help me install the breach plug. It's a 1 and 20 twist this is 57 grains of imr 4198. First group out of the gate not bad!! Three shots two in a hole!!
Nice shooting.

Thanks,, one of the most forgiving barrels I have, I've mentioned it often ,is a Wilson 450-457 it's not near as slick as this barrel, this barrel feels wonderful cleaning I'm excited about it's potential. I'll get this barrel in action and something a little bit more huntable maybe by deer season and then again I might just leave it like this.

First bore Rider group,, had to dedicate that to the 250 grain fury black tip this is 59 grains of IMR 4198,, hit in the exact same place left to right as the light blue and the 225 fury 40 cal, the only thing it did was shift 1 in lower that's pretty cool, this shilen barrel is the most uniform barrel I've ever felt running a bullet down it there is absolutely no change in the bore whatsoever and it is smooth!!, if I was looking for a muzzleloader barrel for a smokeless build I would consider this barrel. It's only going to get better ,,again just another vote for the most accurate rifle in America being a 45 Cal smokeless muzzleloader first two groups right out of the shoot not much load development no kind of blueprinting throw the gun together start shooting instant one hole almost you cannot find that in a centerfire cartridge.

A rebuilt my six and a half pound ultra light walking Wilson graphite wrapped barrel and graphite stock,, the gun now weighs eight and a half pounds and wears a patriot valley 16 twist Lother Walter 458 shoulder build,, full shank for 5 in then tapers to 830,, my plans are to experiment with the 400 plus grain bullets in this twist also in a hunting format not just target shooting this rifle is for that purpose. Getting on paper today with the light blue and a 275 grain fury!

Attachments

• IMG_20220904_161609552.jpg
    IMG_20220904_161609552.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
Back