Hunting Alaska

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rlsmith

Reaction score
Just talked to a friend that I have known for 40 plus years he has been in Alaska working the last 4 years and he loves to hunt so the conversation went to muzzleloaders I was tell him how much I enjoy the Lyman great plains rifle and to my surprise he has one and hunted with it while in Alaska. He informed me the he used round balls because that is the twist of the rifle he took a brown bear interior not coastal and two moose all the hunts were with guides and backup weapons the round balls in the 54 will get the job done he said he has great confidence in the set up he added just make sure you have a guide with a back up just thought it was great to actually talk to someone who has done it.

Need a video. Anybody can say anything. I watched a grizz take 3 .375 H&H Mags before going down.

I'm not saying he didn't do it. I just need to see it to become a believer. I've hit elk with a .54 PRG and they ran off like they weren't hit. They were killing shots but the PRB doesn't hit hard enough to knock them down. A grizz/brown bear is much more charged up when hit.

Are you sure his backup didn't give the killing shot?

Sir I I've known the man 40 plus years I have no reason not to believe what he says and will not debate the subject with you I've seen other posts that you respone to so you have your opinoop and are welcome to it.

Rick N Bama said:
What would have been used to take Bear in the earlier days in AK?
 Against grizzly they usually used more than one hunter.

With one hunter they died a lot.

I'm not saying a PRB in .54 can't kill a grizzly in perfect conditions. I'd just like to see it instead of just hear about it. I'll admit when i'm wrong.

Back