A BIg Under Hammer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I believe it was 1995 when I ran into Roger Renner at the Shot Show in Las Vegas. I didn’t know him at all but overheard him talking to Warren Center ( of TC ) about a new underhammer big bore rifle he was going to be selling. I got his card and over the next year had several conversations with him. Anyway I had some cash and otdered one of these Zephyr 20 bore under hammers. I’ve hunted it several times and taken a cow elk and two Muleys. It made me a believer in big lead balls and their performance. Anybody here have one of these rifles and if so have you hunted with it ? I’ve been thinking about working up some shotgun loads with 00 or #4 buckshot as I’ve heard this done but I’ve got no loading info like wads etc. Anybody know anything about such a project ?
Rick

That’s a nice looking rifle. I really love to see a shooter who documents his load on the target so the reader gets some insight on the formula. The barrel is rifled as you say but whose barrel is it and how is it rifled. Do you shoot ball or only conical etc ? That is a sweet group you posted but tell me about your sights. What is the rear peep its kind of sexy but is the sight easily removable ?

rick

I don’t have any information on the barrel in regards to manufacture. Twist is 1-66 if I remember correctly. It likes a .615 RB and a .020 patch. So far a damp 1-5 ratio balistol to water lube has been best. The rear sight is a Johnson’s peep sold by muzzleloader builders supply. It mounts with 2 small screws. I bought the gun last year from a gunsmith friend. It was in the white when I got it. The stock came from Pecatonica Longrifles which also needed final fitting and shipping.

Harleysboss. I looked over the Muzzlerloader Builders site,and saw the Johnson peep sights but I’m curious about the long support tang it’s mounted on. Is this a custom piece from your gunsmith or are they available.
thanks
Rick

The picture of the Johnson sight on the website is what you get. Here’s a picture of mine closer up. The only modification on mine, I ground off the decorative end so the whole sight fit better on top of my action. The sight comes with a casting nub on the bottom which you have to grind off for a flush fit. You can mount the sight anywhere along your barrel/ action that best suits your needs. The hole just visible past the end of the sight on mine is actually a barrel retention screw.

Attachments

• IMG_2050.jpeg
    IMG_2050.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2051.jpeg
    IMG_2051.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 0
I guess maybe I missed this sight and mounting tang on their website. That’s what I’d be interested in so I’ll keep looking but thanks for the photos and help

rick

I had a chance to buy an Rj Renner 12 bore rifle a couple years back. I passed do to not seeing many T-Rex in my hunting areas 😂

I found one for sale in Texas near me, as per you there is a shortage of T-Rex's and elephants on my place to hunt. Nice looking rifle though.

I’m one who is in the corner of safety so hedging your bets is always a good idea. Lots of fire extinguishers, a well supplied ditch bag, and a least one 458 Win mag rifle. More than once have circus trains derailed letting loose lions, tigers and perhaps a disgruntled big elephant who can come knocking at your door. Those near railroad tracks can’t be too careful.
Rick
;)

Latest posts

Back