Hunting Prep 2018

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last season the boy, and i each killed deer using the 265g Lehigh Controlled Fracture bullet. The bullet worked good.

For the coming season i am thinking on using the 250g Deep Curl bullet. Three summers ago it was shot into a setup similar to shown in the photo. The powder charge then was 80 grain Blackhorn, and the distance from rifle to the horse was 25 yard.

IMG_2903.JPG

What happened back then can be seen in the VIDEO, and in the photos.

250deepcurl2.jpg

The bullet destroyed the front jug, blew up the second jug, and made the third jug leak. The bullet was found on the ground below the horse; photo shows the bullet.

IMG_0777.JPG

This morning, using the rifle the boy likes to hunt with; five shots, using the Deep Curl were taken at paper.

IMG_2821.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG

ronlaughlin said:
.....For the coming season i am thinking on using the 250g Deep Curl bullet.
Sounds familiar; Looking back, I haven't shot the same gun and load since I started messing with in-lines.
Good luck - lots of time left for gun before hunting season.

I have a very hard time hunting with the same bullet/load/ gun combination also . To many good guns and bullets .

Thanks Ron for all the time you spend doing these test

There are a lot of bullet choices. It can drive you crazy if you try them all. Plus, it's expensive.

I keep it simple. Barnes or Thor for an inline and a PRB for a sidelock.

with not a ton of time this year and having to build a load for my brothers rifle i think ill be using the same setup as last year for the first time ever, unless i draw a moose tag in which case i guess ill just have to make time to get ready with a larger caliber.

Funny how that works out huh? :D

Although I am using a 1X scope this year. Just so I have a clearer sight picture. Still shooting as close as I do with open sights.

Muley Hunter said:
Fmfdred56 said:
i think ill be using the same setup as last year for the first time ever,

Huh?
what i mean was like many on this thread iv always built a new load for a diffrent rifle for each hunting season before, but this year ill be hunting with the same rifle same bullet and same powder charge that i used last year. iv never used the same setup 2 years in a row.

This morning we set up at 75 yard as in the OP, and aside from the sabot, used the same load. The short Harvester sabot was used instead of the crush rib. Because there are two of us hunters, we naturally need two rifles; the UltraLight Mountaineer was shot this morning.

IMG_2685.JPG

IMG_2967.JPG

Looks good Ron! :yeah: I've had good success with the 240's...they work well.

dbowling said:
They look like they should put a hurt on some deer lungs/heart..plenty accurate enough also.
Your new avatar....I know whats on your mind now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back