.....I did it. Ordered some Barnes.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I ordered some 195 grain expanders and sabots today and just before I hit the "complete order" button I took a peek at the .50 cal 250 grainers with the appropriate sabots. I have been thinking about lightening up the Accura load for a while, maybe stepping back from the 300 grain XTPs I currently use with 77 grains of 209. I have arthritis in my right shoulder so bad I have cortisone every three months and that load is just uncomfortable anymore. The .45 isn't near as punchy so I kept the bullet weight pretty close to the 200 grain pill I shoot now.

All I need now is a day without wind that isn't -22 degrees or near blizzard conditions....like what's expected tonight into tomorrow.

Anyway, I have asked enough question of ya'll and will say thanks to all of you for the direction. When I can get to the range I'll be sure to get all of you up to date on my adventures in solid copper.

You might try a “Past” pad, straps to the shoulder, it really helps to reduce recoil. I’ve had rotator cuff surgery, cortisone shots,steroids, etc. I know what you are going through.

You might try a “Past” pad, straps to the shoulder, it really helps to reduce recoil. I’ve had rotator cuff surgery, cortisone shots,steroids, etc. I know what you are going through.
X2. I upgraded mine lil bit tho. I took a gel pad out of an old bike seat and had my friend with a sewing machine sew it under a piece of leather he added to the PAST pad. I hardly feel a thing now. I can shoot my 12ga slug gun all day.15499340862716362755835407875335.jpg

During our "early" season I can see some pretty cold temps and when that happens I have plenty of padding. lol Ma tells me I have plenty anyway. lol The arthritis hasn't gone nto the bone or taken any away yet so the cortisone has been doing wonders but seriously I shoot all of my deer well inside 100 yards and haven't any real need to be jarring myself like I have in the past. The .50s are the only guns I might say are annoying in the recoil department so those are the ones that may get tamed down. I'll have to see where the comfort zone lies when we get out of this friggin deep freeze/blizzard stuff.

I've had my eyes on a couple of the Barnes bullets but man there seems like one person swears by this bullet, another guy swears by that one and they shoot the same guns as I do and with the same powder charges. XTPs...I got then in a whole circus of diameters and weights. Got almost as many varieties of deep curls and A-frames, so why not add some Barnes. Besides, at some point I can see this country going lead free so I may as well get started with the discovery. Hopefully things will not be that far off from where the guns are sighted at now. All of them except the Optima pistol are zeroed at 100 yards. The pistol at 50. And its been a darned log time since I've shot anything beyond twenty yards' long guns or pistol. I just think its time.

I ordered some 195 grain expanders and sabots today and just before I hit the "complete order" button I took a peek at the .50 cal 250 grainers with the appropriate sabots. I have been thinking about lightening up the Accura load for a while, maybe stepping back from the 300 grain XTPs .

I ave never used anything except 250 gr with 100 grains of BH209. I have never not had a complete pass through. I use the Hornady 250 gr SST with the sabots they supply. The picture of the 3 shot group for my avator is at 100 yards. I could probably tune that up a bit, but really, there is no need.

You will not regret switching to Barnes bullets. For years I've shot 300 gr. Expander MZ's over two 50/50 Triple 7 pellets in my .50. For years I couldn't recover a bullet to see how it performed. The deer or elk always went down in a heap and the bullets passed through leaving a sizable exit wound. A few years ago I finally recovered a bullet from under the hide on a buffalo. The bullet had passed through both shoulder blades and punched through the ribs on both sides before running out of steam. The expansion was absolutely perfect with only a small piece of one "petal" broken off. The fired bullet weighed 287 grains. The other two shots that I fired at that buffalo passed completely through the chest cavity and off into the prairie somewhere.

I agree with Herschel Conyers on the Past Recoil Reducer. Bought mine after shoulder surgery too.

You will not regret switching to Barnes bullets. For years I've shot 300 gr. Expander MZ's over two 50/50 Triple 7 pellets in my .50. For years I couldn't recover a bullet to see how it performed. The deer or elk always went down in a heap and the bullets passed through leaving a sizable exit wound. A few years ago I finally recovered a bullet from under the hide on a buffalo. The bullet had passed through both shoulder blades and punched through the ribs on both sides before running out of steam. The expansion was absolutely perfect with only a small piece of one "petal" broken off. The fired bullet weighed 287 grains. The other two shots that I fired at that buffalo passed completely through the chest cavity and off into the prairie somewhere.

I agree with Herschel Conyers on the Past Recoil Reducer. Bought mine after shoulder surgery too.

The answer to how it performed, was the exit wound on the animal.

My order arrived today and these are animals. lol Now I just need some time without wind and sub-zero temps. -12 this morning at 7. 6 hours later we're all the way up to 6 degrees. lol This winter is getting real old.

x3 on the Past. Used one a lot when I used to shoot my 9.3mm Mauser a lot. They used to have a normal version and a magnum. I used the mag and it was VERY effective.

My .45 Kodiak is a soft shooting rifle. I use the 200 grain XTPs and load anywhere from 63 grains weighed to 77 grains weighed and the only thing at 100 yards that changes is 3" of rise between the lighter and heavier charges. Windage doesn't move a fraction of an inch. Scoped and with the sling this gun is right around 9 1/2 pounds and recoil pad is very absorbent. I can shoot the heavy stuff in a t-shirt. The new 195 grain bullets should shoot near the same, maybe having to tinker with the scope a bit, but recoil should stay relatively tame.

When I shot 250 grain XTPs in the .50 long guns with the 77 grain weighed charge the recoil wasn't real bad so I will have to assume that the Barnes 250 will have recoil of similar degree so I'll be ok. I like the accuracy that the 300 grain XTPs deliver in these guns but now I am aware to the arthritis and just how much recoil I want to mess with. I plan to shoot the Barnes while its cool yet so I can wear the coat I hunt in. Actually while hunting I don't mind the 300's recoil since its hardly ever more than one shot and if two ever are needed there's the loading time in between them so its not a big deal. On the bench though, in the summer, when I really enjoy striving to poke single holes in 5 shots using the 300s things can get dicey so stepping back to a 250 probably won't bother. I'm not a flincher so that's not an issue but I love to shoot and sometimes those 30 round sessions color me a bit but so far the shoulder joint hasn't hurt. Tapping my eyebrow, now that's another thing but doesn't happen often at all. I'm going to give these Barnes a go without any extra padding and if I think I need it will likely order one of the Past pads.

My Optima Pistol at 63 grains weighed with a 240 grain XTP is a real hammer to shoot and on deer. Lots of recoil. This load was chronoed at the gun club by another member at just under 1600fps. The buck in my avatar picture was hit shoulder thru shoulder, three ribs, and a golf ball sized exit wound. He was taken at 15 yards. I'm going to order a box of the 225 grain solid copper HPs from Barnes to try in it since my maximum range is never going to be over 50 yards and most likely well inside of 25. I have a 3m dot Red Dot 2X on the pistol and am sighted at 50. Five shots are pretty much a loose single hole. If the Barnes won't repeat this I'll stick with the XTP's but I am really wanting to start to conform to the lead free bullet stuff before we're all require to do so. I might try the 200 grain solid copper HPs too since I am fairly well convinced that inside my shooting parameters with the pistol they too will do a deer easily.

I was shooting some very heavy loads (400 gr bullets with 150 grains of powder). Not surprisingly, I started to flinch. I closed my eyes and jerked the trigger on a cow elk at 90 yards. My buddy was happy, because he then got a shot. I bought a PAST shooting pad, and on a 10 degree morning, it cracked in half. I'd recommend wearing it inside your jacket on those cold days. I've since become older and wiser, and shoot lighter loads, but I also bought a gel shooting pad that I use over the PAST. The combination works great. I don't flinch anymore.

I did order the 225 grain, .429, XPB bullets to use in the Optima pistol and they came today. Nice looking animals. I'm hoping they'll fly ok inside of 50 yards pushed with a 63 grain, weighed, charge of 209. They're packaged as for use in 1:20 twist guns and this is a 1:28. The gun is sighted for 50 but I have never shot a deer beyond 40 yards with it. I'll check the gun for zero using 12 of the 20 bullets and hold the other 8 for hunting if accuracy holds together.

That's a major league hole in the end of that bullet! I Like!

NPq36sN.jpg

Last edited:
They should shoot in a 1-28. Its only listed as .89" long. Ive only shot the 225gr 45cal version but i also shoot them in a 1-32 much faster. Its quite a bit shorter than the 44cal.

Plugging the numbers in JBM @1500fps you get
Stability: 1.481

Latest posts

Back