I dunno what to do ?????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Possum

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm new here and need some help. I'm trying to find an affordable muzzleloader that I can use for deer here in Southwest MO. Got any suggestions? I'm thinking along the lines of the H&R. Cheap enough but from a reputable company.
Thanks,
Brian

Hi Possum and welcome to the forum!
The NEF Sidekick gets really good reviews by just about all who have shot them. If I were looking to get into muzzleloading and wanted to keep costs down, this would be a great gun to check into.
0001063310156_500X500.jpg

Possum said:
Is stainless easier to keep clean than a blued barrel?
In my opinion, it is, mainly because dirt or fouling just shows up better on a stainless gun allowing you to get it off before it damages the finish. BUT, stainless needs to be maintained just as much as a blued barrel, because it will rust just the same using Pyrodex or any of the subs like Triple Se7en. I'm just partial to stainless guns so I may be a little biased on the subject! :lol:

If you take good care of your guns than the blue will hold up just fine if you don't the stainless is the way to go. Like Nic said you still have to maintain the stainless cause it will rust. Another gun that you should consider is the Knight Disc Elite which is more accurate and now since they have been discontinued about as cheap. Watch this board cause they show up for sale from time to time.

I have the NEF huntsman (which is very similar to the H&R except that it can take a shotgun barrel so it has to have firearm papers filled out to buy). If you decide on the NEF or the H&R I strongly suggest you send off for the .25ACP breechplug conversion. It gets rid of the plastic carriers and replaces them with a .25ACP brass which can take small rifle or small pistol primers so the variety of primer selection is very wide. It also gets rid of the screwy breachplug wrench that must be used with the stock breechplug and replaces it with a standard six point socket and extension. I have several other muzzleloaders but this one is right up there for value and seems to shoot just fine with most everything that goes down the barrel. The trigger is quite nice with a fairly light let off and not very much creep. As a benchrest shooter it is likely not the best but the trigger for hunting in my opinion is just about perfect. I had a Traditions Pursuit which looks like a similar gun but the quality was definately not there. My trigger was terrible and the rest of the gun looked a little cheap. Some say the Traditions have improved and I certainly hope so as the early ones were pretty bad. By the way I converted my Omega to the .25ACP primer also and am very pleased with the results. The primers in the .25ACP brass are easier to handle when hunting as they are long enough to handle with your fingers even with light gloves on. You will need some minimal reloading stuff for the primers to knock them out and reseat them but there are simple inexpensive means of doing that.

take a look at this gun in .504 caliber. $300 shipped

http://www.whitemuzzleloading.com/sale_page.htm

i would also consider one of those z-5 omegas. that's a well-designed rifle, and under $300 from midsouth.

i havent heard anything bad about the NEF/H&R single-shots. i dont have any personal experience with them, but i think they are well made.[/url]

The NEF Sidekick gets really good reviews by just about all who have shot them.

For the money..hard to beat! I'd also consider the Z5 Omega.

Z 5 or Nef

I have a z5 and 2 Nef a sidekick and huntsman all of them are safe good shooting really inexpensive american made guns. You can buy either one without fear. just a matter of what fits you best

Latest posts

Back