I finally got to shoot!!! (Picture Heavy)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
As some remember, I got a new flintlock muzzleloader last November. It is a .54 caliber 1-56 twist swamped Colerain Barrel. The parts were all fitted on a beautiful walnut stock. With a Chambers lock and Douglas Trigger. I wanted to shoot it but with eye surgeries, snow, winter, and just nothing making me crazy to shoot. I have been pretty good.

But today it was 47 degrees. The sun was shining, no wind, not snowing... you could sit outside without a jacket. It was beautiful. Just a nice day to SHOOT!

The problem was how to get out over three feet plus (we got 18 inches the other day of new snow) to set up and target to shoot at. Then I saw it... a piece of garden fence sticking out of the snow. The back stop of course is yard and yards of very wet snow. To the top of that wooden post is four feet. I know, I built it. And there looked like six inches or more sticking out of the snow. You can just barely see it in the red circle. The distance to that piece of wood is 32 yards. I checked it with my range finder.

7-DSCN0355_zpsb2319791.jpg

On zoom (there was no way I was walking out there with my bad knees and ankle in that deep if snow) you can see the small chunk of post. It is a 2x2 post.

You can also see that the new rifle shoots just a little to the right and high. I guess I have some front sight that will need to be removed. I shot three times off my walking sit while sitting in a chair using that stick and my fist, as a rest. And all three went right into the same area. The balance of that rifle is amazing. I was shooting 90 grains of 2f Schuetezen Black Powder, moose milk patch and home cast .530 round ball.

I can say that is one sweet trigger on the rifle and the lock is so fast you'd never know it was a flintlock.

1-DSCN0348_zpsdbfe5588.jpg

So I made an aiming adjustment as to how far left and it was hitting kind of high, so I made the adjustments and shot. Bang!! I got it good that time. I learned how much lower I had to go in the point of aim because if you look on the right top of that stick you can see where it is now notched. That is from a round ball. So a little more adjustment was needed. And with a good guess I shot again, aiming under and left of that stick. Well I must have been good as you can see.

4-RSCN0351_zpsf7c5a7a2.jpg

Now that I had the drop and the hold left figured out the rest was easy. As the picture shows I got kind of into shooting that rifle off that single stick. Unlike some, off hand shooting is not something I am good at. But give me a shooting stick, or my walking stick and let me sit down I can get the job done. That red X shows my approximate point of aim.

I know I have to shave and drift a front sight. But that can come after the snow melts. And if anyone is worried, the balls shot were going into very deep snow drifts. From past experience I know how fast snow can stop a round ball. Also I own all the land behind there all the way to the federal forest. So safety was addressed.

The new rifle is nice. But cleaning it, since the barrel does not come off or the vent liner out.. was different. I know that they say, put a tooth pick in the vent hole and pour your cleaner down there and slosh it back and fourth. I instead kept running patches soaked in Rusty Duck Black Off until they showed no sign of fouling. Then I ran dry patches until they were clean and dry. Then I coated the barrel with Barricade Gun Oil to protect it.

And wiping off if the lock, frizzen, flints, hammer, etc... done. I think I can now hold out until the snow melts.

6-RSCN0354_zps9c1af2dd.jpg

1-DSCN0566_zps51bc1d46.jpg

That is such a neat looking rifle! I was actually thinking about it the other day and wondering if you had got to shoot it yet. What is the overall length of it? Looks to be about 8' lol

The barrel is 42 inches. It is a long rifle for sure. But a sweet one.

Great post and the picture were terrific. That is one nice rifle!
Oh the advantages of shooting out the back door!

Nice! Im also jealous of the backyard range. I would have some sort of bullet trap to reclaim lead. everyone is complaining about the winter, but a lot of that is from the last few being so mild. (at least for the east coast)

Your rifle is not only a beauty, but looks like you have a real shooter too! Congrads on the great rifle!

Nothing really feels like a great custom rifle built just for you! :)

Glad to see you finally got a chance to shoot that beautiful rifle Dave! :) Looks like a keeper to me :yeah:

Just out of curiosity, do you plan to hunt with that gun? I expect you have hunted with one similar before, can you describe what it is like?

I suspect that I am no different than most, after hunting with a high powered center fire for many years, I am looking for more esthetically and spiritually fulfilling ways to take game.

I started, like many, with the inline (which I have come to love with the help from the board) to take advantage of additional hunting seasons. I shoot a bow, but time does not always permit me the luxury of getting into the field as often as I would like, but it does satisfy that hunter side of me.

The experience of taking game with the rifle of my ancestors, that is beautifully shaped, and finished and uses a technology long since past is pleasing to me. I just wanted to know if I am alone in this idea or is it something common amongst the group? I can't believe we would build or acquire such beautiful guns and then only take them to the range and then store them in our gun safes.

So as one new to muzzle loading hunting, tell me if I am on the right path and what your experience is in hunting with such a gun and how it is different from center fire if you can.

:applause:

AWESOME shooting there buddy. Nice to have a range that close to home :D

Ray............ :wink:

C Broad Arrow said:
Just out of curiosity, do you plan to hunt with that gun? I expect you have hunted with one similar before, can you describe what it is like?

I suspect that I am no different than most, after hunting with a high powered center fire for many years, I am looking for more esthetically and spiritually fulfilling ways to take game.

I started, like many, with the inline (which I have come to love with the help from the board) to take advantage of additional hunting seasons. I shoot a bow, but time does not always permit me the luxury of getting into the field as often as I would like, but it does satisfy that hunter side of me.

The experience of taking game with the rifle of my ancestors, that is beautifully shaped, and finished and uses a technology long since past is pleasing to me. I just wanted to know if I am alone in this idea or is it something common amongst the group? I can't believe we would build or acquire such beautiful guns and then only take them to the range and then store them in our gun safes.

So as one new to muzzle loading hunting, tell me if I am on the right path and what your experience is in hunting with such a gun and how it is different from center fire if you can.

Like you I was a center fire rifle shooter. I had one shot DRT deer at over 400 yards. And where I lived I was lucky enough to have an abundance of deer. So it got more of, opening morning you went to your blind, you watched deer run across the corn fields, and decided which one you wanted. Then you'd cough and the deer would stop, you'd shoot, and go home. I enjoyed the venison but I missed the challenge.

An old friend got me into muzzle loaders and the bug bit hard. I then started hunting with only muzzleloaders. I started with cap locks, went to some inlines, and then started collecting flintlock muzzleloaders. And I have a number of then to choose from. But I always wanted a special one. And this one is special. But I will hunt with it. Out of a ground blind of course because I would hate to scratch it up walking through the brush. I have other rifles for that. I like to get close to them. And where I hunt, 50 yards is a long shot.

I still remember the first doe I took with a flintlock. It was cold, wet, snowing, and I was worried the rifle would not even go off. I'd been hunting all day and finally (we had to shoot a doe) in walked a medium sized doe.. nothing large mind you. But I wanted my season to end. I was tired of cold and snow. The doe was 52 yards away (later verified with my range finder). She was facing me, eating grass tops sticking out of the snow. But she had not spotted me. So I leaned the rifle up, against a tree. The rifle was a Lyman .54 caliber Trade Rifle flintlock shooting 90 grains of 2f Goex, and a .530 patched ball. So I got the rifle hammer back, no set trigger on this model, and a fine bead on the deer. She lowered her head to eat. I placed the sight on her neck and figured if I do miss the neck, one way or the other I would still hit the brisket and punch a lung. And as she took her last bite of grass I fired. The smoke cleared and there she lay DRT. The ball went through the neck, into the chest, through a lung and top of her heart, out the bottom of her stomach, into a hind leg, broke the leg, and disappeared into the woods behind her.

This custom rifle was always a dream of mine. I had planned the rifle many years and when it was finally completed... it was everything I wanted.

For all of you that live in a city and have to drive to a range... I know how you feel about a person with a private range. After I retired I lived in the city still. And would drive three miles to a public range that might or might not be open. You never knew until you got there. Then I would pick up litter on the ground and around the shooting benches from all the inconsiderate people before me.

Then I decided I wanted a get away place. Well this get away had a range. It had woods, lakes, and I decided I would rather retire here. And I never understood the pleasure of a private range until I started shooting.

Those are exactly the experiences I have had and as a result am looking for more of a challenge when it comes to deer. The inline was the first step but it lacks the aesthetic beauty. Plastic and stainless is still plastic and stainless. Wood, blued metal and brass with some nice relief carving would complete the experience I think.

Congrats on finally being able to make smoke with the new longrifle!
Thanks for sharing with us! Looking forward to more updates when the time and weather allows, and pics of the rifle taken outside :wink:

Latest posts

Back