I Finally Shot My O/U .50 caliber Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
I bought an O/U .50 cal. rifle a few weeks back and got around to shooting it today.

cva_o-14.jpg

The first thing I found is the barrels are not regulated. The top barrel shoots high and left compared to the bottom barrel.

The second thing I found is the gun hates 385 gr. Hornady Great Plains bullets. The one from the bottom barrel missed everything @ 25 yds.

Next I shot 2 shots in each barrel with 365 gr. MaxiBalls and 75 gr. of 3F black powder. It really liked this load.
Lastly I shot a 260 gr. PT Gold in a crush rib sabot with 65 gr. of 3F BP.

ou_50-10.jpg

The gun liked these bullets also. I moved the peep sight to the right so the lower barrel is right on. I think this will be a winner for deer hunting once I get it dialed in at 75 yards with the MaxiBalls.

wow that has to be a lot of fun to shoot! I think it would be stressful trying to dial in the barrels.

On one hand, the one that shoots the lowest, put dead on at 50-75 yards, the high shooting barrel, 100+ yards. May work out if it groups well at those distances.

Now go clean! You have double the work now :lol!:

Both my Pedersoli side by sides are not regulated either ,but they both have 2 fold down rear sights which once I got everything figured out has not been so bad. I set the front one for the left barrel and the back for right .I have some more tweeking to do but I have them within 1.5 in at 75 yds. on my 58 and about 2.25 in on my 72. Now just playing with loads to see if I can improve

mark1945 said:
Both my Pedersoli side by sides are not regulated either ,but they both have 2 fold down rear sights which once I got everything figured out has not been so bad. I set the front one for the left barrel and the back for right .I have some more tweeking to do but I have them within 1.5 in at 75 yds. on my 58 and about 2.25 in on my 72. Now just playing with loads to see if I can improve
It sounds pretty good to me to have them both that close at 75 yards. I'll probably have to use different charges and maybe different bullets to get mine close at 75 yds.

8) smoker"s" pat'.  I would imagine recoil would be lighter with the weight of the O/U.  
How much does your smoker weigh :?:

Marty said:
8) smoker"s" pat'.  I would imagine recoil would be lighter with the weight of the O/U.  
How much does your smoker weigh :?:
9 lbs. 6 oz.

I couldn't feel much, if any, recoil when I was shooting it. My usual hunting gun is a cut-down Hawken with a short barrel that weighs about 7 lbs. or perhaps less.

Latest posts

Back