I find this to be absolutely amazing...........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETipp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Through all my years with ML I have never been around a flint lock. I reckon that's partly due to the fact that in terms of ML, its all about hunting for this ole boy. Well, today I did a little surfing on youtube and ran across this. A fella squirrel hunting with a .32 Pedersoli flint lock. He claims the one kill shot on a squirrel was from 59 yards, and it was a head shot. If that is true, those things can really shoot well.

I hope it is not against the rules to post this. If so, Mods please delete thread.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...f4f6b298af97dead3f51ff0a7325c317&action=click

Flintlock rifles are very accurate. They're a different discipline than caplocks.
Earlier this year, I put one together from assorted parts gathered up.
My finished product shoots real well for me.
I haven't had the opportunity to deer hunt with it yet but I wouldn't hesitate to in the future.

Squirrels played a role in keeping the Lewis and Clark expedition alive as they crossed Lolo Pass during the brutal winter of 1805 - 1806. I'm a guessin' they didn't kill um with slingshots.... :)

Seriously, I gotta admire all the time and effort our forebears put into making rifles shoot that well back in the day when they didn't even have good tools for measuring things, let alone any kind of machinery for precision manufacturing - and it's amazing how well they did. On the same note, I deeply admire all you modern folks who are putting in the time and effort to rediscover how to make traditional sidelocks shoot that well, and really enjoy reading what some of you post to this forum. My 'coonskin cap is off to all y'all!

Last edited:
Through all my years with ML I have never been around a flint lock. I reckon that's partly due to the fact that in terms of ML, its all about hunting for this ole boy. Well, today I did a little surfing on youtube and ran across this. A fella squirrel hunting with a .32 Pedersoli flint lock. He claims the one kill shot on a squirrel was from 59 yards, and it was a head shot. If that is true, those things can really shoot well.

I hope it is not against the rules to post this. If so, Mods please delete thread.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...f4f6b298af97dead3f51ff0a7325c317&action=click
I have watched a lot of ol boys videos. He is a damn good sportsman, skinner, and hunter. I believe his name is Eliot. Yea, he has an Hawkeye

Squirrels played a role in keeping the Lewis and Clark expedition alive as they crossed Lolo Pass during the brutal winter of 1805 - 1806. I'm a guessin' they didn't kill um with slingshots.... :)

Seriously, I gotta admire all the time and effort our forebears put into making rifles shoot that well back in the day when they didn't even have good tools for measuring things, let alone any kind of machinery for precision manufacturing - and it's amazing how well they did. On the same note, I deeply admire all you modern folks who are putting in the time and effort to rediscover how to make traditional sidelocks shoot that well, and really enjoy reading what some of you post to this forum. My 'coonskin cap is off to all y'all!
Indeed, I still shake my head in amazement at how accurate some of those old rifles were/are. Let alone how the built them and kept them clean and in good shooting condition back then.

Oh, I used to live close to Lo Lo pass. Only squirrels we had out there are pine squirrels, which are a smaller target yet. So that is saying something about their marksmanship.

Flintlock rifles are very accurate. They're a different discipline than caplocks.
Earlier this year, I put one together from assorted parts gathered up.
My finished product shoots real well for me.
I haven't had the opportunity to deer hunt with it yet but I wouldn't hesitate to in the future.
After watching that video, it put real meaning to the term "keep your powder dry" for this ole boy.

They had an airgun with them, though some accounts say it was a little finicky.

Indeed, I still shake my head in amazement at how accurate some of those old rifles were/are. Let alone how the built them and kept them clean and in good shooting condition back then.

Oh, I used to live close to Lo Lo pass. Only squirrels we had out there are pine squirrels, which are a smaller target yet. So that is saying something about their marksmanship.
I’ve tried to eat pine squirrel before, roasted and braised… I believe that in a survival scenario I would probably try eating the tree first and be done with my dinner before my companions finished chewing the first bite. Tough doesn’t really begin to describe it.

I’ve tried to eat pine squirrel before, roasted and braised… I believe that in a survival scenario I would probably try eating the tree first and be done with my dinner before my companions finished chewing the first bite. Tough doesn’t really begin to describe it.
Reminds me of a snowshoe rabbit I tried to eat when I was about 14. The meat even LOOKED like rubber bands....

Pressure cooker to soften it?
Pressure cooker would be a great thing for snowshoes. My wife has a pressure cooker recipe for venison roast which is absolutely out of this world. Moist, juicy, and it breaks all the tendons and other connective tissue down to the point that the meat literally falls apart.

Plenty snowshoes in them hills behint our place.... mebbe I'll gitme a sqwurrl rifle and hunt me up some harr. But first I gotta shoot me an orange 'coon and make him into a hat so's the warden don't get mad....

If I shot one of the cottontail bunnies that hang out around our place, Tina would put ME in the pressure cooker....

Snowshoe rabbits are my favorite. love to hunt them and unless they are old, they can be awesome to eat. I use to ride my snowmobile up in the mountains behind my house, park it, and strap on a pair of snowshoes and head out.

Snowshoe hate hunting with a beagle is as good as it gets on earth. My last beagle died 2 years ago and the hare population plummeted to darn near none where I hunted in Wisconsin. Always hunted with a Ruger Mark II pistol. I shot several hundred over many years and ate all of them.
They need to be boiled or pressure cooked to tenderize them before frying, but they are GOOD to eat.

The squirrel hunter in the video is a very good shot. A flintlock is all I hunted with before I hung up my hunting boots that one last time. Now it's just paper and tin cans. Flintlocks are extremely accurate and I've been able to shoot many tiny groups - and deer, squirrel, coons - at 50 to 60 yards. But that was when I was younger and could see better. I love flintlocks and rarely shoot anything else. One thing I noticed is that it showed loading a flintlock as much more complicated than it really is. Excellent video.

Snowshoe hate hunting with a beagle is as good as it gets on earth. My last beagle died 2 years ago and the hare population plummeted to darn near none where I hunted in Wisconsin. Always hunted with a Ruger Mark II pistol. I shot several hundred over many years and ate all of them.
They need to be boiled or pressure cooked to tenderize them before frying, but they are GOOD to eat.
Must be an up north thing because all the ones I have eaten from out west were fine. The larger ones were a little tough but frying them slowly and longer made them eatable.

I remember a relative that used to live up north Michigan told me that the snow shoes up there will eat cedar bark later on when the snow got deep. He said that changed the taste of them.

I love cottontail.... the Snowshoe I shot must have been really old and tough, or maybe it was just the way that Mom cooked it.
Today was my last day deer hunting but I look forward to hunting cottontails with my scoped .177 after the first of the year. Out rabbit season runs to February 28th. I try my best to duplicate my mother's tasty stewed rabbit.

The squirrel hunter in the video is a very good shot. A flintlock is all I hunted with before I hung up my hunting boots that one last time. Now it's just paper and tin cans. Flintlocks are extremely accurate and I've been able to shoot many tiny groups - and deer, squirrel, coons - at 50 to 60 yards. But that was when I was younger and could see better. I love flintlocks and rarely shoot anything else. One thing I noticed is that it showed loading a flintlock as much more complicated than it really is. Excellent video.
I would think that hunting squirrels with a flintlock would be about as good as it gets. I would like to have one some day but it most likely will not happen.

In term of old eyes, boy howdy, I know of that one as well.

Today was my last day deer hunting but I look forward to hunting cottontails with my scoped .177 after the first of the year. Out rabbit season runs to February 28th. I try my best to duplicate my mother's tasty stewed rabbit.

Oh man, my momma can cook up some fine rabbit. Try as I have, I cannot cook a rabbit like she can. My cooked rabbit is still very tasty, but there's something about those mommas.

Until I can find a .32 caliber ML for squirrel season, I'll be using a scoped .22 LR. Still challenging especially with head shots.

Back