I Had Some Odd Visitors Yesterday

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
Last evening I went out to check on the well pump and spooked some large birds at the cow tank. I thought at first that they were buzzards but they were too big. Then "turkeys" popped into my mind. However, they turned out to be 3 peacocks, 2 hens and a cock. They acted semi-wild and started walking away fast. I went inside and told my wife and she grabbed a camera and went out there. She said they hopped up on the pasture fence and ran off before she could get a photo.

About 20 years ago we had a peahen nest at the base of an oak behind the house. She laid 3 eggs and sat on them for almost a month and then she abandoned the nest. It turned out that none of the eggs were fertile.

Just one more of the exotic animals running around loose in Florida.

PS: It was 97 degrees yesterday and it's supposed to be that hot for the next week .... with no rain.

patocazador said:
...they turned out to be 3 peacocks, 2 hens and a cock. They acted semi-wild and started walking away fast. I went inside and told my wife and she grabbed a camera and went out there. She said they hopped up on the pasture fence and ran off before she could get a photo.
If they show up again, grab the shotgun rather than the camera.  You'll never eat turkey again once you've tasted peacock. One of the all-time best birds I've had the pleasure of eating.

Over 4 decades back an elderly rancher friend had a whole bunch of them move in around his headquarters. Figured out there had been a hippie commune a couple miles down the road, and when that folded they just opened the gate to their peacock pens.  They made such a ruckus around the house that his wife wanted them GONE and now.  He invited me and a bud to come on a peacock hunt.

We got 4 before the other 8 or 9 wised up and took off for parts unknown. Dressed them all (about the size of turkeys) and roasted one for dinner the next night. Oh man....  All of us, including the rancher's wife, started looking hard for where they went and hoping they'd come back. Never saw them again, but we sure feasted on the other three.

patocazador said:
PS: It was 97 degrees yesterday and it's supposed to be that hot for the next week .... with no rain.
98 here yesterday. April in Florida should not be this hot. And, dry.

I am surprised you did not hear those peacocks before you saw them. They are noisy critters. 

I swear I saw a black and white lemur at the gun range last year. It was moving fast, but I am pretty certain. It looked pretty ragged.

Kentucky Colonel said:
I swear I saw a black and white lemur at the gun range last year. It was moving fast, but I am pretty certain. It looked pretty ragged.
Their common name is a skunk.  :p :lol!:

BrownBear said:
patocazador said:
...they turned out to be 3 peacocks, 2 hens and a cock. They acted semi-wild and started walking away fast. I went inside and told my wife and she grabbed a camera and went out there. She said they hopped up on the pasture fence and ran off before she could get a photo.
If they show up again, grab the shotgun rather than the camera.  You'll never eat turkey again once you've tasted peacock. One of the all-time best birds I've had the pleasure of eating.
Thanks for the heads up. I've been offered peacocks before from folks who got tired of their noise and antics but they wanted me to promise that "I'd give them a good home."

My belly is my favorite home for stray livestock!  :D

We have an immigrant population here, and stray dogs are pretty scarce.  Once upon a time one enterprising individual came on the local radio station's swap and sell hour, offering a couple of labs "free to a good home or $2/lb."   :shock:

I draw the line a little bit short of there.

I asked a Cajun buddy that flew for me one day how Peacocks tasted and his reply was..."Bout like owl!"

Sharpsman said:
I asked a Cajun buddy that flew for me one day how Peacocks tasted and his reply was..."Bout like owl!"
lol Owl is some really dirty bird. I would not enjoy eating that one. Yuck.

But, apparently, Sandhill Crane is a favorite among some old timers in Florida, too. 
(Understand- that is illegal here) I know a fella that risked eating a recent road kill 
despite the illegal nature of the meal. Said it was darn good tasting meat and a 
sin to waste. (shrugs) IDK I like those birds and they are taller than some children. 

Sandhill%202_zpsmp4fcgfi.jpg

Texas has legal hunts apparently. Here is a shot.
Honestly, they would not be at all hard to hunt.  
They will often walk right by you. It would not be 
'sport.' It would be 'get.'
sandhill_zpsiehqdiai.jpg

Latest posts

Back