I need some help with a White super 91 .504 cal.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewMexicoElk

Reaction score
I ordered the hornady sst 300 gr sabot, jim shocky powder, #11 primer anyone have any Ideas as to where to start?
thank you

I would start at 100 grains with that combo and possibly kick it up a bit if accuracy is there.

Underclocked said:
I would start at 100 grains with that combo and possibly kick it up a bit if accuracy is there.

Have you shot a white that has the over size bore, with the sabots?
thank you for the help

NewMexicoElk

I have a .504 U- mag and I shoot .458/300 grain Nosler with a HPH-12 sabot and 110 grain T7-2f. The U-mag really likes a hotter load.

With the Shockey stuff I think I would start at 110 and probably end up shooting 120. It is not a real strong powder. I was using Shockey Gold to shoot round balls @ Rhondy competitions from my 54 Renegade - I shot 80 grains of Shockey -3f to get the results I needed. I then switiched to GOEX-3f - I had to reduce the GOEX to 60 grains to match the POI of the 80 grains of Shockey.

In my experience JSG seems to pack the least punch of any of the subs.

Here are some five shot average velocity figures from my Mustang with 100 grains of powder and 300 grain Gold Dots in crush rib sabots.

JSG - 1048 fps
Pyrodex RS - 1393 fps
T7 FFG - 1755 fps

With 120 grains JSG I got 1381 fps.

However, the JSG was pretty accurate with every bullet I tried it with.

NewMexicoElk said:
I ordered the hornady sst 300 gr sabot, jim shocky powder, #11 primer anyone have any Ideas as to where to start?
thank you

Do you have any other kind of powder? I'd much rather have some Pyrodex RS or Triple Se7en ffg... That Shockey stuff IS very slow...you'll probably need 120gr or so. A good bit of velocity variation too.

Does this gun have a 1 in 24 twist? The fast twist barrels really respond to the longer bullets. My White Lightning really likes the 300gr Precision Rifle all lead with ballistic tip. It also likes the 340gr. Mine will not shoot the 250gr very well at all. I have not tried the shockey powder yet but am very interested in hearing your results.

NewMexElk

If I had a White Super 91 I'd be useing a 460gr NE with 80 - 90gr 777

But if you want to shoot Sabots I would start with 777 and sale the JSG
100 - 110gr 777

lungbuster1

If I had a White Super 91 I'd be useing a 460gr NE with 80 - 90gr 777

Again with a U-Mag .504 - I can not shoot .503 No Excuses - they litterally fall out of the barrel. I have to use a .5045 from Dan to feel comfortable that the bullet will not come off the load during hunting activities.

Are the bores on a Super .504 tighter than the .504 U-Mags?

MuleyQuest

I have really been fortunate with the 97 U-Mag. It seems to shoot most any bullet I put down it... if the sabot is tight enough.

I have shot 40/200 grain XTP's very accurately with this gun and here is a target shooting .452/250 grain Gold Dots. Is not the best in the world but since then I have become more confident with the gun and it certainly shoots better than I can shoot it.

UMagTar3.jpg

Sabotloader

Well I ment some of the BullShop 460gr NE My Bad :oops: And that shot group out of your U mag is some pritty darn good groups Expcally useing saboted bullits out of a Conical gun ( Awsome ) :p

SabotLoader,

I wish my white was as forgiving with sabots as yours. The more I play around however, the more I realize most of my failure are my fault and not the guns. I will never give up my White.

NewMexicoElk,

I left you a voicemail with my phone number if you would like to give me a call. A am working today but will be around Monday or Tuesday.

Sometimes a single ill-informed reply will get things going. :lol:

I've only shot sabots in my Umag - with excellent results. The vile plastic hasn't touched the bores of my 98 or regular 97.

MuleyQuest said:
SabotLoader,

I wish my white was as forgiving with sabots as yours. The more I play around however, the more I realize most of my failure are my fault and not the guns. I will never give up my White.

NewMexicoElk,

I left you a voicemail with my phone number if you would like to give me a call. A am working today but will be around Monday or Tuesday.

I dont have no voice message on my phone, but would like to talk to you guys on the phone would be good MuleyQuest or SabotLoader were to get bullets ect... thank you
www.scottironworks.com is where my ph #is at.

UC

1ce agin i mus remine ya... dey aint not ree-cirqlated milc jugs no r dey plastik no mo... dey made of dat der nu stuf - polymere whuts bedder dan plastik

Sabotloader,

As you know I cast my own 496gr. Trashcans. I've sold every M97 and Umag I've ever owned due to bullet fit,,,and accuracy issues (not bad though) because of the oversized issues. My Trashcans come out to right at .5038 after sizing. They were a little "loose" in the 97s,,and Umag,,,although they shot pretty darn good. I think Chuck had some decent results out of his M97.

The UMag is basically a M97,,,only with 4 more inches of barrel length.

I have 3 S91s,,,and the Trashcan engraves all the way down with the Wilson barrels. The Trashcans shoot great out of all three.

The best thing I can tell you,,,is to slug your bore,,,and get ahold of Bullshop Dan. He'll take care of what you need. :wink:

Back