I TIPPED ONE OVER !!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
First let me apologize for being absent so much lately. :oops:

As I told my wife years ago...Honey, you're about to marry a dedicated dyed in the wool bow hunter. I will hunt deer every year without fail. I will be married to a tree for weeks or months on end. Only essential services and emergencies can be delt with during this time. I will not mow the yard, rake leaves, wash cars, or pay any attention to honey do lists. I will work, eat, sleep, and hunt, and not necessarily in that order. Bow hunting is one thing that defines who I am. SHE MARRIED ME ANYWAY!

That was 26 years ago and to this day most everything takes a back seat to my addiction. That is why I have been absent so long.

I've been chasing Magilla again! :roll:

I seem to be powerless over this addiction. :oops:

I spent 5 weeks hunting and passing on lots of small bucks, as well as being unable to close the deal on a couple of MONSTERS because of unclear shooting lanes or in one case I only had a frontal shot, and in bow hunting, as many of you know, that is the worst angle to try to stick a deer from.

Rattling worked extremely well this year bringing in numerous bucks of all sizes. I also tried the new Buck Roar from Madd calls and found it to scare every deer that heard it. Even when used as a grunt call only. I gave it away.....I will continue to use my Tru Talker. It also will growl if I want it to.....

Warm weather set in and the rut activity in my area came to a screaching halt. Does moved very little and those that had bucks attached were even harder to find as they just were not moving either.

Even though we seem to have a lot of bucks in the area, we have twice as many does so the bucks basically have their pick of does in estrous. This makes for bucks that are not very aggressive and they sort of hen up like an old tom turkey.

So on the hottest day of the rut (upper 70's) at 1:00 pm I relocated closer to bedding areas and set up my API Grand Slam climber 20 ft. up a nice straight tree next to a creek crossing. Sitting in Scent Lok in that heat is brutal to say the least. Nothing was moving except the flies that had now come alive in the heat and were buzzing around the area.

At 3:40 pm a doe heading for the nearby switch grass, crossed the creek and had my buck in tow. Reluctant to follow her into the open he stayed on his side of the creek a mere 30 yards from my location and snorted at her in objection. I took 10 minutes for him to make up his mind to follow her across the creek, but in doing so decided to take his last drink. He then looked around for his last cigarette but none was to be found...just thought I'd see if you were paying attention. :lol:
He did cross the creek and passed my stand at 15 yards giving ol' Spit a hard quartering shot.

The glow of the Lumnok and the yellow fletchings were all that were visible against the rear flank as the Muzzy plowed through his gut to find his heart. His death run was 100 or so yards where he stopped, staggered, and then went down. Time of death....3:50 pm.

No, he wasn't another Magilla but a solid buck none the less.......

06deer5x7.jpg

Hell of a nice deer Spit congrats. :shock: Thats a Magilla where I come from. :wink:

:prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

Dern nice buck Spit! !! :partyman:

Not a magilla? :roll:

Very Nice buck Spit! I never cease to be impressed by your hunting prowess.

Awesome job, I only hope to be so good. :yeah:

I call unfair!!! How can the same guy win the Modern Muzzleloader contest 2 years in a row...????
Great buck spit. REALLY great. I hope there's one like that waiting for me when I get to Iowa later this season :prayer:

Thanks y'all.....

I sincerely appreciate all the kind words....
This site has been a great source of information as well as a place to go for chewin' the fat with some great guys!!

I wish our farm was larger and I would have y'alll over for some great huntin'.

The buck I was huntin' never did appear in front of my stands. He was a HUGE 12 pt. with 10 up and 2 down! That's right, a drop tine of 6-8" on each side. Oh well, maybe next year.
:roll:

Something I tried this year as well as last year was using my rattlin' horns to make myself a decoy. After spotting a buck in the tall grass I just position myself down wind from him and slowly work my way toward him all bent over. As I work toward him, I rattle the horns like two bucks fighting in the grass and thrash all about all the while grunting with the Tru Talker. I frequently stop, placing the horns on my own head, then stand up so my head clears the top of the grass. It's amazing, they don't even get it.!!They they just waltz right in. :roll: The problem is getting a shooting lane for an arrow through grass that high.
I have had this work time and again. I have never used it on a big buck though, only small guys. Might not work on the big ones. I will try it someday and see.

Deernut....you should try it on some of those monsters in your area and give us a report. :)

BTW...relax Jimmy I'm not even entering this year :lol:

you should try it on some of those monsters in your area and give us a report.

It's funny you say this. I've been thinking about doing something similar but using a doe face with ears on a hat. I saw it done on TV on some sitka Blacktails doing just that with a hat made to look like a doe's ears and eyes. I'm going to be getting very serious about whitetails coming this weekend and I love to rattle, so I may have to incorporate your tactic. My only concern would be some over zealous hunters, since it is a muzzleloader/shotgun season open now.

Hopefully, in the coming weeks, I have a great endorsment for your idea!!! :yeah:

I saw it done on TV on some sitka Blacktails doing just that with a hat made to look like a doe's ears and eyes

I saw that too! Looked like it worked pretty good for those guys.

Nice job Spit! Makes me want to take up bow hunting. Three of my buddies stuck bucks this last weekend. They were nice, but I'm not going to bust there balloons by showing them your picture.
BR's - Cob

Dang, sorry I had to call you on the phone to find out! Like you, I've been a little preoccupied lately, being as it's bow season and all. :D

Congrats a great buck!

Randy

WOW, Just seen this thread for the first time. AWESOME buck to say the least Spitpatch!!!! Congrats. on yet another Magilla. :prayer:

Just now saw your post Spit, awesome buck. What a great story as well!! :D :D

After 6 years of intense public land scouting during bow season(for gun season)I am once again picking up my compound bow.Hopefully I can duplicate your success here in Indiana.

Latest posts

Back