Idaho Muzzy Regulation Change Proposal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IDF&G emailed this out a couple months ago, I guess to all Idaho license holders. The window for input has past, but it wouldn't hurt to write them anyway. I wrote and told them I didn't think it too hard to find lead bullets, but the ones available over the counter sucked. I bought my lead conicals online. If they really wanted to improve the regulations, I would like to be able to use a .45 cal on elk. If they thought a .45 prb wouldn't provide a clean and ethical kill, they could always make a minimum grain requirement, as opposed to a caliber requirement. It seems that hunters routinely harvest elk with .45 conicals, in the neighborhood of 460 grains, in other states.
I'm personally okay with all the other restrictions. Just my pair of round copper discs.

We unfortunately lost this battle. There were a vocal group of whiners that claimed lead bullets only crippled game without killing it.
I wrote letters and sent pictures. But the vocal whiners won. I warned them that this would result in less opportunity. But they couldn't see that possibility happening. Next they will say scopes are mandatory for whats best for the animals.
As other states with higher animal population are scaling back technology. Idaho is pushing forward. This will sell more muzzleloader hunting permits. It's all about the mighty $$$

As low as the deer population is now, we are also battling CWD. The state will probably reduce deer population substantially to reduce the risk of CWD.
Hell they put poison in our river and killed every sturgeon in a 6 mile stretch because of quagga mussels.

Since I don’t hunt in Idaho (yet) and really don’t know much about the situation there, I don’t really have an opinion on this. 😉

If they really wanted to improve the regulations, I would like to be able to use a .45 cal on elk. If they thought a .45 prb wouldn't provide a clean and ethical kill, they could always make a minimum grain requirement, as opposed to a caliber requirement. It seems that hunters routinely harvest elk with .45 conicals, in the neighborhood of 460 grains, in other states.
I got filleted for this suggestion on the Utah ML changes thread. Glad to see I’m getting trolled. This is what all these game and fish/DWR organizations need to figure out, what they want these hunts to be. I do find it strange that ID seems to be heading in the opposite direction of UT and NM.

Latest posts

Back