I'm on a Roll !

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just do things n try things, plus i am frugal n have to put cardboard inside my shoes at times :) Round ball patching, the Muslin is above my station in life now, but the cotton pillow ticking i use. I dislike precut n lubed or unlubed patches. I do n will buy thicker flannel for patching. I lube my material start my ball into the bore n cut my material off at the muzzle

That's my next project, well, after patch lube making. I want to start making my own shooting patches. I have some questions on doing both but I will wait for now.

That's my next project, well, after patch lube making. I want to start making my own shooting patches. I have some questions on doing both but I will wait for now.
If you want to make round shooting patches, just get yourself a set of the cheap hole saws sold at Harbor Freight. Grind off the teeth on the hole saws and sharpen the edge with a file. Put several layers of your patch material, and using a hand drill, or better yet a drill press, cut your patches. I usually cut about six layers of cloth at a time. You can cut dozens of patches in a very short time. 3/4" hole saw is good for .32 & .36 calibers, 1" for .45, and 1.25" for 50& 54, and 1.5" for .58 & 60.

I bought some cotton material at the local Quilt shop. It's a plain cotton, tight weave type of stuff.
I actually got for cleaning patches but on a whim, I decided to try a bit for a shooting patch.
I don't know how thick it is but it's somewhere in between .010 and .015, is my best guess.
I just cut it in about 1 inch squares.
A lot of the posts I've read seem to be pretty even as to square or round patches.
I kinda like square better because with the round patches, I find it somewhat difficult to line up perfectly center in the bore.

I bought some cotton material at the local Quilt shop. It's a plain cotton, tight weave type of stuff.
I actually got for cleaning patches but on a whim, I decided to try a bit for a shooting patch.
I don't know how thick it is but it's somewhere in between .010 and .015, is my best guess.
I just cut it in about 1 inch squares.
A lot of the posts I've read seem to be pretty even as to square or round patches.
I kinda like square better because with the round patches, I find it somewhat difficult to line up perfectly center in the bore.

That's one thing I am still looking to find out. A lot of folks use pillow ticking and a patch knife to a degree of accuracy. As opposed to round patches, I do not know.

There's only one way to find out for sure, in terms of my specific ML's.

That's one thing I am still looking to find out. A lot of folks use pillow ticking and a patch knife to a degree of accuracy. As opposed to round patches, I do not know.

There's only one way to find out for sure, in terms of my specific ML's.
A lot of shooters have their own way to use patches.
I've got store bought round ones too. In my shooting box, I keep rounds, square cut and also a 2 ft. roll of patch material, which I do use from time to time and cut at the muzzle.
I guess it all boils down to what works best for you.
Pillow ticking is a popular shooting patch material. It tends to be a bit of a thicker material, usually .018 to .022, depending if it's the red or blue stripe.

A lot of shooters have their own way to use patches.
I've got store bought round ones too. In my shooting box, I keep rounds, square cut and also a 2 ft. roll of patch material, which I do use from time to time and cut at the muzzle.
I guess it all boils down to what works best for you.
Pillow ticking is a popular shooting patch material. It tends to be a bit of a thicker material, usually .018 to .022, depending if it's the red or blue stripe.
Indeed. I'm considering some .018 ticking material at this time.

There be lots of shooters that use pre-cut patches. Many out there do the sq. style patch cause its fairly fast n easier. I am not in a hurry to reload, so i take my time n cut patching at the muzzle. Yes i know if i made a bad/poor shot on an animal i need to dispatch it as quick as i can. If i shoot one close enough with-in 45 yds i can whack it again with my 1860 .44

There be lots of shooters that use pre-cut patches. Many out there do the sq. style patch cause its fairly fast n easier. I am not in a hurry to reload, so i take my time n cut patching at the muzzle. Yes i know if i made a bad/poor shot on an animal i need to dispatch it as quick as i can. If i shoot one close enough with-in 45 yds i can whack it again with my 1860 .44

Pre-cut patches worked out great for me today at the range. My hands were cold enough as it was. With as cold as they were, probably not the best for me to be using a knife.

Also, I was able to locate some of the fired patches. Those pre-cut .018 pillow ticking patches I looked like they could be used again. They were in great shape.

Last edited:
Back