Interesting video

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another big issue is the loss of marshland. Everyone wants a house on the water, filling in marshland and building bulkheads has taken away the vast majority of marshland and tributary access. These are the breeding grounds of a lot of marine life. They either breed there, or rely on a food scource that does.
For example, herring. There are so many species that rely heavily on the abundance and migrations of herring, that if they were to be taken out of the oceans ecosystem. Most every other species would die off, either directly or indirectly.
Crabs and bivalves (clams...) are the warning species, first to succumb, their numbers in the last few years have been in steady decline. There was always years of feast and famine, and numbers fluctuate, but the sustained periods of drop are becoming much more severe, and longer lasting.
Most of the species are not in jeapordy, they will just not be present in certain areas, typically due to pollution. If the water returns to habitable, so will the marine life return. Here during the '70s and '80s stiped bass was all but non existant. They were protected and illegal to harvest for a while. (I cant say why, but most evidence points to elevated levels of mercury and several other toxins at the time that were mostly regulated down. Now we have a world class striped bass fishery year round.

Last edited:
I can remember back in the 70s my uncle would take me out in his boat just about every weekend during the summer fishing and crabbing. You could see your hooked fish 10/12 foot down easy. Fast forward to 2000-2020 you’d be lucky to do that at 4 foot now. I know we have a great fishery in the Chesapeake but it’s gonna take bordering states to get on board. My oldest brother was president of Md golf for years. Early 90s a farm was bought at the 50/301 interchange in Queen Anne’s county and Queenstown Golf links was built. They have wells placed on the perimeter for water test,and there are less pollutants going into the bay then when it was a farm. So there are guidelines in place unless it’s a government run place like the water treatment plant. That place is out of control.

The striped bass fishery in the Chespeake is but a shadow of what it was just 10-12 years ago.
From what I hear and read it is still great up Jersey way

Back