Iowa Youth Seaon 2013

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Another good start to this years hunting season. I love taking my kids out for the early deer season. It's a special time for us, the weather is nice, the deer are in a somewhat predictable pattern with their movements, and the number of other hunters at our public ground is low.

My son and I decided to hunt the same piece of alfalfa field that my younger son and I hunted the previous evening (he was a second away from connecting with a nice doe but she turned at the last min. and into the woods she went). We set up with a 100 yd shooting area in front of us next to the edge of timber. It's a nice spot that the deer frequent often at last light.

With about 15 mins of shooting light left, my son spots a deer coming out of the corn next to a terrace. I spot it a few seconds later and see that its a decent sized deer, I thought it was a doe. I pick up my range finders and measure 96 yds, then I notice the rack on its head, it's not a big deer but I was thinking STEAKS ON THE GRILL, VEGETABLE DEER SOUP (my two favorites). On the way to the hunting ground, my son was talking about what he may or may not shoot. He mentioned that he wasn't sure if he was going to shoot a folk horn if one presented a shot. Later, he told me that he decided to shoot the deer because he wanted to put some meat in the freezer (we have been out since July), he enjoys deer meat as much, if not more than I do.

The buck turns broadside at 85 yds, my son lets out a grunt, the Triumph barks. That happened pretty fast. I was pretty sure my son made a good shot, the buck hunched up at the shot and ran into the woods. I thought I heard a crash. We gave him a few mins and then went to check for blood. My son is getting good at following blood trails, it wasn't a great trail ( the shot was in the center of the deer up and down) but there was enough to lead us to the buck about 40 yds from where it was shot.

85 yd double lung shot, TC Triumph, 100grs BH209, 250gr Barnes TMZ

Sorry about the grainy photos, my camera crashed a few weeks ago and Iphones, I found out, do not take good night photos.

It was another great hunting trip with my son and I can't wait to take my youngest out next week. I also can't wait to put some loins on the grill!

That's quit the little deer harvesting army you have put together! Congrats on the fresh meat and good job on the write up as usual.

Congrads to the young hunter and you. Great job, both of you! :applause: :applause: Lots of fine dining there!

:yeah:

CONGRATS to the both of you........... Now it's gooooooooood eatin' time :!: :!: :!:

Ray.......... :wink:

:applause: :applause: I'm glad to hear you and your family are having fun and I love to read reports from Iowa. Thank you :yeah:
Good luck with the rest of your hunting season--I'll be out to hunt with my friends in the 1st Gun Season. Save some for us.

Now that is what it is all about!!! A father and his son, a muzzleloader and a nice shot harvest. Priceless!!!

Awesome report Tim! Your son pictured looks a LOT more grown up too. Congrats on a fine job!

BuckDoeHunter

Awesome! We need a lot more kids hunting and as everyone knows success breeds success... AWESOME!!

Great job!! Congrats as well. My dad loved teaching us years ago & seeing us become knowledgeable, successful hunters. I hoped my boys would follow but, I will never know the father feeling. I hope you have many successful years together.

Latest posts

Back