Iowa Youth Season First Deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my 9 year son out last monday evening. We arrived at our spot around 5:00 pm. We sat next to a small terrace with a nice alfalfa field in front of us and standing corn on our left. I ranged the edge of the timber at 50 yards, perfect for my son's shooting limit of 50 yards.

After sitting for a couple of hours, watching a hen turkey and listening to two owls talk back and forth, a button buck emerged from the woods and started to eat in front of us 40 yards away. I whispered to my son, "we aren't going to shoot this one", and that the deer keeps looking up towards where he came in. I told him that it's a good sign that there are more deer back there and we should wait for them to come out. After 15 minutes of eating as fast as he could, the buck walked back into the trees.

Twenty mins later, out pops a nice mature doe. I tell my son, who is leaning back against his backpack, to get ready and put the scope on the doe. My son moves kinda quick and raises his arms up in kind of a stretch and reaching to put his hands on the rifle. She spots us instantly. She starts to stomp a little and bob her head. While doing this, 5 more deer come out, 2 more mature does and 3 yearlings. The 2nd doe into the alfalfa field starts to follow the 1st doe and slowly walk towards us to try and figure out what we are. My son has the scope on the 1st doe when the 2nd doe turns broadside, I whisper to him to shoot that one which he does a few seconds later.

To me, it looked like his doe was hit hard the way she ran into the woods. I give my son the HIGH 5 and congratulated him. We sit for a few mins and then decide to go look for blood. We walk to the grassy edge where the trees start and immediately find blood. Not much at first but another 10 yards and it really gets heavy. I tell my son that he put a good shot on her and she is not much further. I let my son follow the blood trail and he finds his first deer a few mins later. She ran maybe 40 yards total.

TC 50 cal Impact
60gr BH209
Barnes 250gr TMZ
CCI209M primer
Nikon Omega scope
35 yard shot off of shooting sticks

The wound on the deer's side is the exit hole, the entrance hole is just touching the back edge of the front shoulder, he made a great shot which took out the heart and both lungs. The doe either took a step at the shot or she was quartering towards us a little more than I thought.

We had a great time togther and I can't wait to go out with him again this December. He was a real trooper and never complained once and helped out every chance he got, even on the extremely long trek out of our hunting spot with the doe on the game hauler.

(if anyone knows how to resize photos on photobucket with the new format, please let me know, I can't figure it out)

Great story--I always enjoy your posts and think it's great that you get your family out hunting.

Great job by your son :applause: :applause:

I'll be out to Iowa in December--can't wait.

Keep having fun

Congratulations to the young man. That is a terrific doe!!! That will make many wonderful meals for you and your family. You did a fantastic job there, and a great shot.

Nice going there Dad. Way to plant the hunting fever in a young hunter. That really was well done. I really liked the story and the picture. Great deer!

Good going there BDH! That is a great harvest/hunt/story. Makes me look forward to being in the woods even more.

Be blessed.

Awesome! Congrats to you both! you just made yourself a lifelong hunting partner.

Congrads to you both. Congrads to the young man making a great shot! :applause: :yeah: Great meat for the table to boot! I like seeing a Parent start young hunters off by having them take a Doe. You can teach them about conservation that way. I have seen a few get a little spoiled if they take a nice buck for their first one, and seem to think that is the way it should always be. When they find out different they loose intrest. Great Job to DAD!! :yeah:

Back