Is the Rut in where you hunt?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rks1949

Reaction score
My buddys,and I have(or haven't) noticed much,if any Big Buck activity yet! We have seen young bucks chasing/trailing does,but not any of the Big Boy's? When the Rut is in good here,we see some brusiers(messing up,Love sick) out in the fields or crossing them trailing does,but it hasen't happened here yet. Most Big Bucks are still operating under darkness here. Also the deer/car accidents are very low,compared to last year. It could be the weather,but I'm not sure. Ron

It's just getting started here. Last week mostly nothing but last Thursday noticed it's starting to change. Hoping it's in high gear when I get out later this week. I know there's a big whitetail in my area and only saw him once in a group of smaller bucks. I'm sure he'll be around with the number of whitetail does are around.

The big boys were moving from the middle of last week thru the weekend in my part of IL (west of Peoria). Quite a few good bucks went down around here.

Yeah,we had a disease problem here,and they say it killed allot of the big mature deer. That might be what's going on. :cry: Ron

I was told at the check in station today that the bucks are big necked that are being brought in to register. So I would guess in Wisconsin they are in rut. Although I have not seen one yet to prove it one way or the other.

I did have a doe standing 12 yards (Bushnell Pro Sport Range Finder) from me today. But I have decided no more doe shooting on the property. I want to see a little more in the population department.

rut

The rut is on in Southern Illinois,at least where we hunt in St. Clair County across the ditch from St. Louis, Mo.
My son says its the lock down phase where the few remaining does in estrus are being bred?
All I know is that the majority of my buddies,my son and myself all killed bucks and saw relatively few does compared to what we usually see.
My two cents.

Zeke

Down here in South Louisiana, we expect the rut to kick in around the week before Christmas. Temperatures will probably be down there in the low 40's. :)

From what I observed in the woods last week and from the deer I saw on vehicles, I'd say it is on in northern Michigan.
BTW - doesn't the amount of sunlight (length of days) have more to do with the actual rut than the temperature?

In Colorado, Muzzleloading season is usually around the rut for elk. Depends on weather and when nature says it time to breed. Muzzleloading season is only 8 days long.

Riffle season is after the elk rut and before the deer rut. You only get one week for each season and you can only hunt one season unless you own land and get land owner vouchers.

Our hunting seasons suck here.

Here in southern INDIANA last week the bucks were scrapeing and sparring BUT all the scrapes I found are no longer being tended to and the two does that me and my wife killed were net swollen but it has turned very warm here whent from 38 to almost 70 the past 4 days but it is supose to drop again on THANKSGIVING DAY so I will be back at it on FRIDAY.

Ron G.

Yeah,Ron it's the same here. But in other parts of the state,they say the Big Boy's are chasing the does! Really strange? Ron

Back