It was a good year on the water!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlc378

Reaction score
This was one of my most memorable years fishing (short of being a little squirt myself fishing on my grandfathers boat).  It started out in April/May fishing for browns and then bluegill and bucket mouths in the summer/fall.  I got to spend a lot of time with friends and family that typically don't spend time in the outdoors, and shared some incredible moments (and fried bass) with them.

My dad owns some property and the DEC stocks just upstream every spring.  This presents a good opportunity to get my son out and catch small browns until he's bored.
1052.jpeg

The look on a kids face when landing their own fish is simply amazing, you couldn't ask for a better feeling.
1031.jpeg

6lb Brown from Cannonsville Reservoir in mid-May (took a while for the ice to melt this year)
trout1.jpg

'whoppers'
20150806_151808.jpg

whopper.jpg

Onto some of the LMB... Anyone who says you have to be quiet fishing hasn't brought a 3 year old out on a paddle boat.  He was banging, clanking, jumping around and tossing stuff in the water most of the evening and still ended up catching a 19.5" and 15.5".
bass5.jpeg

18.5"
bass3.jpg

Bertha... no idea how long or how heavy.  I wanted a few quick photos and then this fatty went back into the water.
IMG_0659.jpg

bass4.jpg

The weather was so nice this year, I was actually out fishing in my kayak until a week before regular firearms season.  A tad chilly, but had to take advantage of it.  Just wanted to share some memories :D

Yes, indeed.  Many, many years with my dad and grandpa fishing for salmon and trout and now onto about the 15th with my father-in-law catching bass, hoping to pass it along with my little guy.  He wants to go but it's tough to keep a 3 year old occupied all the time (I need to get a few casts in myself every now and then).  I'm sure he'll have the same passion we do for the sport when he understands it more.  It's tough trying to catch a fish every cast so he stays focused.

Looks like fun. Reminds me of my Great Uncle Elmer. 
He taught me to fish. His most important lesson? 

Enjoy the fishing itself... the joy is not actually in catching 
fish. A fine dinner is just an added benefit.

Your boy sure looks like he'll remember his dad like I 
still remember Uncle Elmer. I miss that old codger. 

(Loved fishing with my dad, too. But, he never learned how 
to fish. :) For him, catching the fish was a 'failure is not an 
option' thing. And, God love him, he was terrible at it!)

Back