It's starting..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

With the recent storms cranking up the surf, and no signs of bunker here in JC I had to do some creative thinking if I wanted to get any bass this weekend. I reasoned that I had to find a bayside location in order to avoid the chop out front.

One of my other main concerns was the high water temps. Most of Jerseys areas are still holding in the mid to high 60?s.

Unfortunately many NJ bayside areas that are accessible by foot also lack any real good current/structure that will hold bass in those water temps.

I made the decision to head east and hit an old haunt in Connecticut. My original destination was Sherwood state park. However, I also decided to do some recon on another near by location I had never fished.

First, I hit the Pennfield reef on the falling tide. Lots of bait and lots of fish. Everyone else was only catching blues. I was fortunate to catch 3 nice bass to 30? on storm shads. Like I said I was the only to get bass out of about 10 guys there. Not exactly sure what they were doing differently but most of them were using tins and poppers. Obviously, I was happy with my choice in using the shads!

After the tide fell and the reef lost its current, we headed back to Sherwood to try the flume that drains all of the tidal marshes back into the ocean. As soon as I saw how low the tide was I told my buddy we might as well leave. The full moon had the outflow almost empty and the water in front of the beach was only waist high. My friend wanted to stay anyway and give it a try. We only had a half an hour before the park closed and he wanted to give it a shot?.It only took me two minutes to wade into the water and realize there was bait, and stripers all over right in front of me. I caught a 28? on top water Gibbs popper and had 4 or 5 more on in the next 20 minutes before we had to leave the park for sundown.

Needless to say things are just getting started?.I anticipate getting back there in the next couple of weeks?.

Jeff

Unfortunately no pics Nug.

I sent the camera to my brother to take some pictures of our place out in Telluride. He got called to a search and rescue mission in the Aspen area and he took it with him. Although he got to take a bunch of the pictures he needed the LCD screen seems to have failed. He sent it back to the company and I am waiting to hear from them.

Back