I've been thinking....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Usually coming from the wife, those three words scare the crap out of me, however I have been toying with the idea of having my second Optima pistol bored and relined with a .45 cal barrel liner. IF I can find someone to take on the chore.

I hunt with an Optima .50 and love it. I have a second Optima still in the box, so to speak: its new and unfired but scoped. I think the Optima pistol format is prime for some playing and I would really like a .45, but possibly in a different twist rate than the 1:28" that is factory standard on the .50 cal pistols. I'd like to keep the same barrel length.

I'm not certain how much of an issue getting .40 cal bullets to stabilize in a 14" barrel would be, but the option of shooting bullet to bore at ,45 would almost certainly eliminate any problems the narrower bullet might throw into this equation, but the more I think of this the more I think I'd like to add this to the rabbit hole.

Any ideas?

I should be receiving my first cva optima v2 50cal pistol today.. And can't wait.. I would like a .45 cal but Indiana hunting laws says .50 barrel that shoots nothing smaller then a .44 bullet..

I am waiting for someone to start making barrels for the cva's .. With T/C closed for good there's an opening in the barrel making industrie..

45 launching 45 250gr maxis from Dixie Gunworks with 50gr 3f would be a 454 or 460s&w type power

Think it would work well for just about any game in N America

And if you do want to shoot 40 cal pistol bullets in sabots remember that most of the 32-45 caliber pistols are made with a 1-14 to 1-18 twist

If you were to go to a 400gr super long bullet twist may be an issue but otherwise I wouldnt worry about it as far as stabilizing the 40 cal 150-200gr bullets

45 launching 45 250gr maxis from Dixie Gunworks with 50gr 3f would be a 454 or 460s&w type power

Think it would work well for just about any game in N America
This seems like a light charge to get those kinds of powers. In my .50 cal Optima I do hunt I am shooting an equivalent to 90 grains of BH with a 225 grain bullet and feel I am close to the .454, may even the .460, so a lot more power than 50 grain of 3f even with a 250 grain pill. I know that the current load gets about 1540 fps on a chrono. I know deer absolutely hate the load.

This seems like a light charge to get those kinds of powers. In my .50 cal Optima I do hunt I am shooting an equivalent to 90 grains of BH with a 225 grain bullet and feel I am close to the .454, may even the .460, so a lot more power than 50 grain of 3f even with a 250 grain pill. I know that the current load gets about 1540 fps on a chrono. I know deer absolutely hate the load.

Guesstimated numbers based on a 45 hawken type shooting that load and comparing felt recoil to a single shot 44 mag.

Gotcha. And that velocity was supposed to be 1450, not 1540.

Back