Jim Shockey's Gold range results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flint head

Reaction score
Ok guys, I have just returned from the range to try out the much maligned Jim shockey's Gold... Let me say from the start that this is just an old country boy test, no one has given me any money to say anything (although if anyone at APP or TC or Rouge River Outfitters wants to give me something that would be great!). The gun is as follows: TC Omega .50 cal thumbhole stock with a Weaver Grand Slam scope and Warne bases and rings. Powder: APP Jim Shockey's Gold Sticks, 150 grains. Bullet: TC Shockwave 250 grains. I don't have a chrono. but I'm guessing the bullet is going just fast enough to kill something :wink: The first shot is naturally from a clean bore... all other shot were taken with out swabbing. The first three shot group (including the clean bore shot) measured 1 1/2 inches. After moving the scope the next two shots measured 1/4 inch. If you only count fouled bore shots the first two under those conditions (shots 2 and 3) measure 5/8 of an inch. Not to shabby in my book... All shots were taken at 100 yards with about 5 to 8 mile an hour winds.

pict05062.jpg

I have not had a chance to shoot Shockey Gold. Some people like it some people do not seem to have a lot of luck with it. It does look like it works for you. Nice shooting.

Clean Up

OK now for the clean up after five shots and no swabbing between shots. Let me say that I was shooting 110 grains of 777 fffg in my gun and the same Shockwave bullet... This load did shoot great but I did have the crud ring and this load is about 50% dirtier than the Shockey's Gold. The first thing I noticed after shooting the APP was when I opened the breach to replace the primer... Wow was it clean! Not used to that when I have been shooting 777. The top three patches are from cleaning the bore... the next three are from cleaning the breach plug threads... and the four q-tips are from cleaning the breach area of my Omega. Take this info for what it's worth but to me it looks like ol' Jim knew what he was talking about after all... I won't be shooting anymore 777. God bless! :)

PICT0509.jpg

Oh by the way... no misfires, hang fires, or smoldering sticks flying 50 yards down range :lol: I have read that and I know you have too... all that stuff is horse do do... Also the fifth shot was just as easy to load as the first.

I have only tried the FFF loose, in my Omega, and I didn't have very good results ( even at 50 yds ). It was very clean. After seeing your results I will try it again using your load, 150 grs, but with loose. I tried a lighter load, 120 grs., and had such poor results that I really didn't try alot of differen't combinations ( it was too close to deer season to take enough time ). I already had a proven load of 777.

Rondal, I shot three 50 grain sticks to equal 150 grains... it may not be safe to load 150 grains of fffg. Try the sticks, they sure do shoot good in my gun. Peace! :)

Range report

Flinthead,

Thank you for sharing your range report with us. Do you have access to a chronograph and give hus a shot to shot comparison based on velocity.

My guess is the Hodgdon 777 will win on speed but never on cleanliness.

choc-dog

I don't Mr. Choc... but like you I'm sure that 777 is faster. The crud ring in my Omega was there but a spit patch would take care of it... that being said, I like the fact in a hunting situation I could just keep reloading with the Shockey's gold and not have to worry about it. I'm in no way downing 777 it's a fine powder! Peace be with you! :)

flint head, Did you crush the sticks,and if so how much pressure did it take. I have about 8 bottles of AP sticks left in the shop. The only problem I noticed was,if I didn't crush the sticks,I would get a delayed ignition. Ron

rks, I did not crush them... I seated the bullet firmly and tried to duplicate the same pressure each time I loaded. As for a delayed ignition, I suspect this may be a result of a combination of things and not solely the blame of the powder. I shot Remington clean bore 209 primers in my Omega today at the range and the Shockey's Gold Sticks ignited perfectly and made lots of pretty white smoke! :D

I'll have to give them another go,and have the crono set up! Thanks Ron :D

Back