What is the length of your 5/8 18 tpi breechplug?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The reason for asking is this.

I have a NEF Huntsman with a 5/8 breechplug and as some of you may know, the only aftermarket plug available is from Cecil at PR Bullets. I purchased 1 of these a couple of years ago. While it is a nicely made plug, it is already getting some pretty significant flame cutting on the primer seat (with less than 75 shots on it). Originally I had thought about seeing if I could get him to make me one with a ventliner, but if the primer seat is going to get flame cut that quickly, then it wouldn't make sense to put a ventliner in a plug that won't last very long. Especially at over $80/plug with shipping and handling.

I thought I could make 1 out of a grade 8 bolt, but my first attempt didn't work out so well. (May have to try again.)

So my next thought was, maybe I could buy a cheaper production (CVA,Traditions,Knight etc.) aftermarket plug and modify the length (if it is to long) to make it work for my NEF Huntsman.

For a reference:
The length of the PR Bullets plug is 1.486" (1.532" with a primer in).
I also have the MU plug (which is no longer being made), but after 100's of shots the primers are sticking after firing. The MU plug measures 1.492" (1.526" with a primer in, but can't remember if I had the o-ring in when I measured it).

Anyway I was wondering if any of you would be willing to take and give the name and measurements of your breechplugs, especially the ones that, in your opinion could be modified to work.

I appreciate any response, advice, or suggestions.

Last edited:
Back