Jug choked?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lighthorseman

Reaction score
Clair...much to my surprise bought me for Christmas, a turkey box call along with some diaphragm reeds. I have wanted to try turkey hunting for years, but had always hoped I'd find an experienced turkey hunter. Last winter our local sporting goods had a "pro" give a seminar, As it turned out he was local and offered to take me out. I waited for his phone call but it never came. I've decided to go it alone this coming spring. I had pledged to take as many game animals as possible with my new smooth rifle, but I have a Caywood officer's fusil, that stinks as a round ball gun, but supposedly shines as a turkey gun.

Have any of you fellows ever hunted birds with a jug chocked shotgun? What shot should I use? it's a 12ga

officersfusil1.jpg

I have never used or even held a jug-choked shotgun but I assume that shot works the same as any other choked shotgun. Depending on the range you will be limited to, I would use No. 6 or 5 shot.

I have hunted turkeys with my SxS shotguns and use nickel-plated # 5 shot. But # 6 shot will give you a better pattern if the bird is closer than 35 yards. The bigger shot (# 5) will carry farther but the pattern will open up quite a bit past 45-50 yards.

Turkeys are not blind shy and putting a pop-up blind on the edge of a pasture next to some wooded area is a good set-up. A couple of hen decoys and a jake will pull in a gobbler to whip the jake's butt.

Call as little as possible. Big gobblers shy away from "loudmouths" it seems.

Latest posts

Back