Just got off the phone with Bob at Hornady re the 40/200 SST

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NimrodRx

Reaction score
My prayers have been answered!!!!

Due to an overwhelming number of customer complaints and technical data supporting the inability of the .40/200 SST to hold together at velocities generated by greater than 100gr of BP subs, it will be completely redesigned for 2009. This is per Bob, one of the bullisticians at Hornady. He stated that the .40/200 SST was developed at a time when hunters were shooting 75-100 gr charges and the bullet has just not held up to the magnum loads that a lot of hunters are now using.

Their web site has not yet been up dated and the bullet is not yet in production. He advised me to check back in a month. They are first going to exhaust existing stock. Details can be read on page 49 of their new catalog (item #67132). The bullet will retain the same item number but will have new packaging.

In a nutshell, the new bullet will now be based off the flex tip (FTX) design used in the leverevolution line. This includes a thicker jacket that is tapered and more solid at the base. It also includes an Interlock.

Now I don?t know how many of you have experience with Interlocks in your center fires, but I can assure you, this bullet won?t be coming apart. They have been my go-to affordable CF bullet for years. Very impressive bullet.

I?m just ecstatic! What a great company. I?ll be shooting for the shoulder next year!

PS. If anyone is interested I have three or four packages of ?old? .40/200 SSTs that I will let go at an affordable price :)

That does sound like good news. I am sure some will not welcome the change but .. I hope this new bullet is as accurate as the old. If that stands true, you can bet I will be shooting alot more .40/200's next year.

That is just awesome! The .45 Disc Elite may now become legendary!

Its only limitation has just been removed.

I'd stick this new bullet square through bone at 2450 fps with zero hesitation. Even at point blank range.

My local WT population is not one bit happy about the news ;)

Not familiar with the old bullet. Were they broadside lung bullets only?

yep.

put em in the lungs and let em run.

that is, at these high velocities anyway.

this new bullet should be an anchor and produce an exit.

Will they sell them in bulk? Did you also talk Bob into a 230 grain .40 cal? :wink:

UC, figured I'd better not press my luck. A .40/230 SST would be the balls though.

If I know Hornady, they won't be available in bulk.

.40 FTX

YooHoo
That is good news. I really like the way the .40 sst performs at the range and it has done well on three head of game with no failures and quick kills. Lets hope they sell in bulk on the .40 cal. Also even tho I really like the 250 gr SW bonded for my .50 cal encore I'm bettin the new .430 dia. 265 grain will out shoot it. I intend to try it out anyway just to see. Don't know what the BC is yet but it should be good.
Wayles

This 200SST went through both scapula, both sets of ribs, and even
cracked the backbone on the inside of the rib cage. One fragment of
lead exited and the shelled out jacket was found in muscle just under
the skin on the exit side. ("both sets of ribs" meaning it went through
a rib on both entrance and exit sides)

InstantKill.jpg

The 200SST was shot out of a Savage 10MLII at around 2700fps and
the buck was 90yds away.

Some say I was just lucky.....some said it was STILL a case of bullet
failure. In any case, it was total and immediate 8-pointer failure!

pioneerhunter, I am not sure what you are asking, is it the performance window or something else?

Nimrodrx, this is great news! I wonder if they would consider selling or packaging them in bulk like the rest of the flex tip line, like UC stated?
Do you think if we could generate enough interest they would actually make a 220-230 grain version and package them in bulk? The recent rebirth of the .45- thanks to BH209 and the stellar velocity and accuracy you guys have posted about might make this their best seller!

MQ32shooter said:
Nimrodrx, this is great news! I wonder if they would consider selling or packaging them in bulk like the rest of the flex tip line, like UC stated?
Do you think if we could generate enough interest they would actually make a 220-230 grain version and package them in bulk? The recent rebirth of the .45- thanks to BH209 and the stellar velocity and accuracy you guys have posted about might make this their best seller!

Darn! Cats out of the bag :wink: 8)

Nimrod and Flint Head!...You Blabber Mouths :d'oh!:,
Now everybody is gonna want a 45 :p :D :wink:

lane said:
Darn! Cats out of the bag :wink: 8)

Nimrod and Flint Head!...You Blabber Mouths :d'oh!:,
Now everybody is gonna want a 45 :p :D :wink:

Yep this is great news thanks NimrodRX those two 45's in the safe will definitely get a workout now.

Hey Minst, any chance I can get that 45 Elite back from you? ;) I knew I was going to end up regreting that....

DannoBoone said:
This 200SST went through both scapula, both sets of ribs, and even
cracked the backbone on the inside of the rib cage. One fragment of
lead exited and the shelled out jacket was found in muscle just under
the skin on the exit side. ("both sets of ribs" meaning it went through
a rib on both entrance and exit sides)

InstantKill.jpg

The 200SST was shot out of a Savage 10MLII at around 2700fps and
the buck was 90yds away.

A Hornady 200 gr SST at 2700 FPS..the bulet performance results were predictable. Try a Barnes bullet next time.

Chocdog

Some say I was just lucky.....some said it was STILL a case of bullet
failure. In any case, it was total and immediate 8-pointer failure!

Back