Just got off the phone with Bob at Hornady re the 40/200 SST

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Just got off the phone with Bob at Hornady re the 40/200

NimrodRx said:
My prayers have been answered!!!!

Due to an overwhelming number of customer complaints and technical data supporting the inability of the .40/200 SST to hold together at velocities generated by greater than 100gr of BP subs, it will be completely redesigned for 2009. This is per Bob, one of the bullisticians at Hornady. He stated that the .40/200 SST was developed at a time when hunters were shooting 75-100 gr charges and the bullet has just not held up to the magnum loads that a lot of hunters are now using.

Their web site has not yet been up dated and the bullet is not yet in production. He advised me to check back in a month. They are first going to exhaust existing stock. Details can be read on page 49 of their new catalog (item #67132). The bullet will retain the same item number but will have new packaging.

In a nutshell, the new bullet will now be based off the flex tip (FTX) design used in the leverevolution line. This includes a thicker jacket that is tapered and more solid at the base. It also includes an Interlock.

Now I don?t know how many of you have experience with Interlocks in your center fires, but I can assure you, this bullet won?t be coming apart. They have been my go-to affordable CF bullet for years. Very impressive bullet.

I?m just ecstatic! What a great company. I?ll be shooting for the shoulder next year!

PS. If anyone is interested I have three or four packages of ?old? .40/200 SSTs that I will let go at an affordable price :)

I am wondering just how different the 200 gr. SST bullet is from the 200 gr. shock-wave bullet that Hornady is producing presently for T/C.

The failure rate on that .40 200gr. "yellow tipped" shock-wave is rare.

I am not excited about the softness of the flex tip to open up a bullet reliably every time....but I don't have Hornadys lab.

Chocdog

Come on now Lane, you know you are the original pot stirrer on these .45 Elite's... :)

The only difference is cosmetic. It is the same bullet.

This bullet will be a significant improvement.

I am of the belief that whether an animal died or not has nothing to do with bullet failure.

NimrodRx said:
The only difference is cosmetic. It is the same bullet.

This bullet will be a significant improvement.

I am of the belief that whether an animal died or not has nothing to do with bullet failure.

The 4 deer in my freezer, and the 5 deer in my son's freezer, don't know what bullet failure is :p :D 8) :wink:

For me personnally, bullet terminal performance means how far they ran after the shot and was the blood trail one that a blind man could follow.

choc-dog said:
DannoBoone said:
This 200SST went through both scapula, both sets of ribs, and even
cracked the backbone on the inside of the rib cage. One fragment of
lead exited and the shelled out jacket was found in muscle just under
the skin on the exit side. ("both sets of ribs" meaning it went through
a rib on both entrance and exit sides)

InstantKill.jpg

The 200SST was shot out of a Savage 10MLII at around 2700fps and
the buck was 90yds away.

A Hornady 200 gr SST at 2700 FPS..the bulet performance results were predictable. Try a Barnes bullet next time.

Chocdog

Some say I was just lucky.....some said it was STILL a case of bullet
failure. In any case, it was total and immediate 8-pointer failure!

when I try to shoot these in my A&H with 3 p pellets at @2225FPS I am blowing out the bottom of the sabot on many of them, what are you doing to keep that from happening at the speeds you are shooting??? 200 grn @ 2700 fps= what I wanna do

Ok ....I'll bite

Just how affordable will you make the old bullets if I want them.

PM me

Who makes the sabot

On the SST 45 cal 200gr Who makes the green sabot This combo
seems to make the best fit for my 45 cal

I believe someone suggested the TCs were made by MMP for them only- proprietary or something like that :D

I have been running the 200 grain shockwaves, noone have an answer for why the bottom blow out???I would like to run these at 2700 from a smokeless gun, but I would think the problem would only get worse

cummins cowboy said:
I have been running the 200 grain shockwaves, noone have an answer for why the bottom blow out???I would like to run these at 2700 from a smokeless gun, but I would think the problem would only get worse

There is not enough support in the 40/50 sabot to withstand the pressure generated. Sabot is the softest link and actually pushes around the base of the bullet and goes out the barrel first. Result is a tumbling bullet and no accuracy or velocity. Guys that are pushing these to that speed are using 45cal custom barrels

Back