Just received my new '51 Navy from Midway

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 1851 Colt Navy revolver, brass, or steel framed, is not a MAGNUM pistol. Regular everyday charges of black powder are more than sufficient to get the job done.

Remember, that Wild Bill Hickok shot, & killed, a lot of his fellow gunfighters with a pair of 1851 Navys.

If you need more power, I suggest a Colt's Dragoon

Both sound right. heavy loads stretch the brass frame and will wear it out quickly. It's best to stick to lighter powder charges.

My understanding is such that the brass frames do not actually stretch, per se, but rather, repetitive heavy loads lead to the cylinder face progressively imprinting itself into the brass recoil shield and ultimately causing excessive cylinder play (fore and aft) and widening the cylinder gap...

For ease of use I use a .380 ACP case (~ 15 g) of Pyro P, (though I have t7 that I will use in the rifles but I find BH209 is more accurate in said rifles), a waxed wad, a 1/4" plain felt then a GatoFeo soaked 1/4" felt topped with a .375 ball. It works perfectly with the ball about 1/16 -1/8" below the cylinder depending on how hard I push the loading lever.
With the waxed wad and plain felt over the powder I have left it loaded for up to 3 weeks and no F2F.
Plenty good for whatever I'd need it for.

I bought one 30 years ago. Lots of fun, never had any trouble with it, its been many years since I dragged it out of the safe tho. Very recently I purchased A Taylor Mason conversion 1851 that shoots .38 spl. I'll get to the range and try it out soon.

Latest posts

Back