Knight Bighorn POI off center to Bore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaho PRB

Reaction score
I have a knight bighorn 50 caliber that is a real good shooter. Serial number says it's one of the older ones made before the company sold out. I recently installed a western precision front sight & a williams rear peep. Shoots real well but to sight in horizontally, the peep must be adjusted well left of center. I can see only a little discrepency in the barrel crown. I guess my question is for those other shooters that have this gun (green mountain barrel), have you had similar experirnces? Could the sight holes possibly be drilled off center? bore runout? and the obvious crown questions. Anyway, interested in what you have to say. Thanks in advance.

A discrepancy in the crown???? A little goes a long way. Any discrepancy in the 2 feet of barrel is magnified by 150 at 100 yards. The list at the beginning of Inline forum says Bighorns weren't in production until 2005. Maybe contact the company. They have really good customer service.

Last edited:
A dicrepency in the crown???? A little goes a long way. Any discrepency in the 2 feet of barrel is magnified by 150 at 100 yards. The list at the beginning of Inline forum says Bighorns werent in production until 2005. Maybe contact the company. They have really good customer service.
I may do just that after this hunt. Thanks

FWIW,
I purchased an older (name brand withheld) rifle recently and was surprised to find the bore .020" off center to the left at the muzzle. The rear sight was also set to the left at the limit of drift and adjustment.

I haven't fired the rifle because bore sighting indicated the sights were correctly aligned with the bore CL. The only way this could occur is if the bore is severely off-center left at the breech, which would make the barrel wall thin; or the barrel is not mounted square to the receiver, making the barrel shank thin.

I placed a 3/8"X36" drill rod blank against the left side of the bore at the vertical center of both muzzle and breech. The drill rod was visibly closer and angled to the inside left of the receiver, confirming one of the two conditions above. Repeating the test on the external surface of the receiver showed that it and the barrel were mounted correctly. The breech wall is dangerously thin IMO.

I have a high-quality barrel blank for a large bore nitro express caliber and at this point I'll probably sacrifice it to rebarrel the gun (for BP & subs) trying to save some of my investment.

Long story short, proceed with deliberation. Even the most reputable and innovative firearm manufacturer's QC can miss an obvious, serious, possibly dangerous defect.

Latest posts

Back