Knight opinion please

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first ML was a Knight LK-II, 50 cal, percussion. I've killed so many deer with it, I've lost count. I know of at least 3 at 100 yds., 6 at 150 yds, 1 at 186 yds and 1 at 200 yds and several more from 25 to 80 yds. 240, 250, 260 gr. saboted bullets, #11 percussion cap and 85 gr. Tripple 7 - 2f or 3f. Both work great but the 3f burns a little cleaner.

Are you using it in a plunger rifle or bolt?

I'm using it in an original disc converted to the bare primers. I've never experienced a misfire. Be sure to get the carbon out of the breech plug after every shooting session, it builds up quickly and reduces the size of the flash hole. That may be causing some issues if not kept clean.

Just to clear any confusion, BH209 is a great choice for Knight bolt actions. Actually it's a great choice for most inline muzzleloaders. It's a bad choice for plunger guns. The spring in the plunger isn't strong enough and will blow back under recoil allowing the primer to come loose, usually in pieces. A few members have reported having to dig those pieces out of their foreheads.

Well I bit the bullet and bought it, took it apart to clean and it looks real good. I do have a question about the breech plug. Gunshop told me I can use musket caps? Does that sound accurate? Here are pictures.1616256482667368319169912957336.jpg

Looks to be a Red plastic jacket 209 primer plug, the bolt also looks to be a 209 primer bolt. A clear pic of the bolt face would tell for sure.

Looking to convert this LK 93 to bare primer, is there a way to do that? The bolt face is pointed, not flat or cupped.

I don’t know of any bare primer setups for the lk93. What you have now is setup for the red plastic jacket 209 primer.

Thanks a lot. I'll get some red plastic jackets and try it out and report back.

Knight once made a bare primer breech plug for the Lk-93's. It held the primer in place with a magnet. I had one, believe I test fired it and put it away. If I remember correctly, it had a domed powder end and wasn't great with the pellets I was shooting back then. Knight no longer makes them, I heard there were safety issues with the magnet not retaining the primer.

If it were my gun, I'd buy a #11 breech plug and a flat faced #11 hammer assembly and shoot with loose powder. The breech plug is available from Knight. The hammer assembly make take some looking, but I see them on ebay with regularity. I have 2 LK-93'S in my current collection. One is set up for #11 caps and the other uses 209's in the red jackets. I much prefer the #11 system. As a bonus, with primers being hard to find you would be setup to shoot whatever you could find for sale.

Check your local pawn shops. I picked up a complete gun for $40. It has the #11 ignition system. I bought it just to have spare parts for my other Knight plungers. I see just the timney triggers alone sell for more than that.

Ebay often has alot of Knight plunger gun parts. Just that many are way overpriced. If you look around and are patient, you can find what you need reasonably priced.

#11 breechplugs are easy to find and reasonably priced... if you buy a new version it has a hex head vs the slotted head, which you need a breech plug tool.

The plungers are more expensive if you have to buy one. And way too expensive if you buy a new one from Knight. Another thing that folks have done... take a dremel and file down the cone on the plunger face to make it perfectly flat. Then when you are using #11's (with #11 breechplug/nipple) you are all set, no need to purchase a new plunger assy.

As someone mentioned, often you can find a whole gun (probably with a rusted up barrel, for very cheap and have all the parts you need, plus spares. I've bought a couple of those over the years for $50 or so. Pawn shops are good for this.

Thank you guys for the info. I don't have many pawn shops here in rural Vermont, but I will keep my eyes open for deals when I travel. For now I have ordered a package of red plastic primer adapters, I can't wait to shoot it!

Bought the plastic jackets, great shooting gun, used Pyrodex rs and Pyrodex pellets, and Hornady saboted bullets. I will need to tune it when the weather warms up. Plastic jackets are sure messy though. Will make a great backup to my T/C

Latest posts

Back