Knives and the Modern Shooter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
patocazador said:
The last 2 years I have carried a Diamondback 9mm in my Wranglers' back pocket. 
Like you said "use enough gun", have carried a small 9mm auto of different manufactures in the 1911 style versions for 40 years (all had the same function features).

Remember in a time of need you better know how to work the firearm. Here's why I say that; I was shooting a 1911 style handgun all the time (shoots and practice). For some reason I carried a Browning Hi-Power in my bag when on the road (5) days a week. One morning in my hotel room in Saratoga WY (2AM) the door between rooms was kicked in by a drunk the cops figured was looking for his girl friend. I have always slept with a firearm under my pillow, when that door flew open I came up with the Browning pointed in that direction (as practiced for years). Trying to wake up and be on target all I saw was the door pulled closed. Now I'm up and totally awake, I'm thinking "I didn't hear the report of the gun being fired ???" Now I'm aiming and listening while I count the rounds in the mag then pull the slide back to see if theres a round in the chamber. Damn I have all my unspent rounds ???  Block the door with the recliner and for the next few hours if someone burped two room down I'm ready. Got up couldn't sleep and checked out at 5AM. The clerk said the guy in the room next to me checked in a 2AM and checked out at 2:15AM, I told him what has happened so I wouldn't be charged for the damaged door and frame. The clerk called the cops, they decided I should carry what I'm use to my 1911 Gov. Coming out of a deep sleep I wasn't familar with the Browning safety working different than the 1911. Lesson Learned.

I really like the way my Sig 239 works with the first shot being DA and succeeding shots being SA. (I also like the ability to quickly switch barrels to choose .40 S&W, Sig .357, or 9mm.)

I believe the German P-38 started that particular action. It's nice not to have to cock a hammer or click off a safety when you don't have extra seconds to spare. 
However, most DA Only guns have a ridiculously heavy trigger pull on every shot. I don't like them at all.

I have carried a Sig Sauer's P938 Nightmare since introduced in 2012, before that it was a Kahr small size 9mm, and before the Kahr was a Colt Combat Commander in 9mm from the 70's.  When working you try to have everything as small as possible and the fewer items the better. The sub-compact's with their (7) round mags always worked well with the same count in the gun and an extra (1) in the chamber. I've been lucky knowing several of the guys that worked for Timney Triggers for action jobs.

Had a Kahr PM9 and still have a Kahr P45. I couldn't shoot the PM9 accurately regardless of practice and dry firing. It is beautifully made, light and has beveled and curved edges all around, but I just couldn't shoot it consistently. Although they are considerably heavier, I prefer a CZ75 Compact and Kimber Ultra Carry II. Both are all steel, and the CZ is a relative beast at 32 oz., but I can shoot them effectively.
CZ Compact
cz75_c10.jpg

Kimber Ultra Carry II
kimber10.jpg

The biggest problem I have with the heavier handguns is that they pull my pants down so I look like a sagging gangbanger. I suppose I will have to add suspenders to resist gravity.
Ron

"I look like a sagging gangbanger" :D Hey that kind of fits your personality Ron, an old gangbanger (that's what the ladies use to say about you in the day) ...   :heart:   :shock:    :cheers:   :drunken:

Jeans with holes and torn places, pants 3 sizes too big, hats on sideways .. WTF? :scratch: :Questuon:

patocazador said:
Jeans with holes and torn places, pants 3 sizes too big, hats on sideways .. WTF? :scratch: :Questuon:
Use to walk up behind these kids in the mall and pull their pants down, that got their attention and making them run away from you. Today the little bastards may shoot you ...  :shock:

Back