Knowledge of Flints

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shorty

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Supporting member
Reaction score
Any of you flinters care to teach this old dog about buying spare flints. The lock will be a Kibler’s Round Faced CNC English. It been a long time since i had a flinter and there were many small shops at which i could walk in and buy some. Sadly they’re all out of business now. The size is 1”x7/8”. What are the best kind of flints to buy. Is the 1” the width with the sparking edge hitting the frisen?IMG_3902.png

I get my flints from Track of the Wolf Muzzleloading.
They have French Amber or Black English in stock most of the time. I think they are about 3 bucks apiece.
I like the English myself.

Just curious as to how many shots you get using flints before you have to replace them?
Have not had to as I did not shoot them that much Kibler SMR/Woods Runner sold both still have 24 Black English I found 24 #6 and 12 #7 from TOW I missed when selling the flint locks ! Previous rifles it depended on the lock (quality) and the flint quality (why I stay away from amber ) some broke 1st time used where as the English black might go 50-60 with dressing up edge . Kibler would go a lot longer , I used to have some low end guns back then ! /Ed

Last edited:
I get my flints from Heritage Products. They have both, and the flints they send you are flat topped and they don't have big humps on them. The have all sizes too!
I generally get 30-60 shots per flint providing I touch them up about every 10th shot or so. My Woods Runner has about 75 shots on it's first flint and is still going strong.

I want to understand sizes. My post #1 pic says flint size is 1”by 7/8”, some flints listed are 7/8”x1”, that seems backwards from what i need. Is the 1” the width or length??

Call Kibler's and ask them. For the Ketland (Southern Mountain Rifle lock) lock the flints are 3/4" wide and 7/8" long. I ordered some from Stonewall and what I got was a close match to the flint that came in my Kibler lock for the SMR rifle.

I'm not happy with TOW, i have bought 3 dz. Blk. English every one they sent was a hump back. Have half dz. that first hit ruined them. Heritage amber is what i buy now. With a great lock Kibler has you should avg. 35-45 shots per flint not reknapping

As mentioned i called Kibler. The lady said that the correct flints for the woodsrunner were 7/8” wide by 1” long. The length being what back side goes into the leather and the front hits the frizzen. Been a long time since i shot a flinter, got to learn all over again. What she said was Jim liked the french flints better cause they are sharper. She also said if the flints were too short they would snap in half. So i ordered 50 from Stonewall Creek Outfitters, that ought to be enough to last me the rest of my life.

I'm not happy with TOW, i have bought 3 dz. Blk. English every one they sent was a hump back. Have half dz. that first hit ruined them. Heritage amber is what i buy now. With a great lock Kibler has you should avg. 35-45 shots per flint not reknapping
When you buy flints from TOW, you can specify that you only want flat topped flints. They will hand pick the flints for your order. It is my understanding that they limit the # of flints you can get per order to 12.

Back